Diesel now bad?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
WhoseGeneration
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:02 pm

Diesel now bad?

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:58 pm


Pyrolol
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:52 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Diesel now bad?

Postby Pyrolol » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:49 am

There's more to pollution than CO2 (which isn't harmful to people at reasonable concentrations anyway - you breathe it out all the time; just a contributor to global warming).

Diesels owe some of their superior economy to lean burn, but that comes with higher emissions, particularly of nitrogen oxides, which is actively bad for you. There's a reason the recent emissions scandals in the US are about diesels.

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: Diesel now bad?

Postby jont- » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:28 am

If they're worried about cities, I'd start with all the commercial vehicles (busses in particular) chucking out visible soot, and legislate the old ones off the roads too.

User avatar
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:01 pm
Location: Swindon

Re: Diesel now bad?

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:41 pm

It's been coming for a while.
Nick

User avatar
onlinegenie
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:29 pm
Location: Prescot
Contact:

Re: Diesel now bad?

Postby onlinegenie » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:40 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:http://fleetworld.co.uk/news/2016/Mar/Hike-road-tax-for-new-diesel-cars-to-improve-air-quality-says-think-tank/0434024142
I'm confused.


It's not just you. I remember some years ago reading a recommendation to buy diesel cars because diesel was the cleanest fuel. People considered diesel to be dirty because they could see blue/black smoke coming from the exhaust pipe, but unleaded petrol contains benzene which is colourless and odourless and - allegedly - far more harmful than anything in diesel.

It'll all change again in a couple of years' time.
Mark Syder (like the drink only not spelled the same way)

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Diesel now bad?

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:40 pm

I've always suspected this whole "certain fuel is better for your health" fiasco to be complete hogwash. I suspect the main reason they keep changing their minds is to keep up car sales, as people who follow the government's advice will chop and change their car every 2 - 3 years depending on what fuel type is best in the government's eyes at that moment.

I'd say just buy whatever you want.

User avatar
onlinegenie
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:29 pm
Location: Prescot
Contact:

Re: Diesel now bad?

Postby onlinegenie » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:43 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I've always suspected this whole "certain fuel is better for your health" fiasco to be complete hogwash. I suspect the main reason they keep changing their minds is to keep up car sales, as people who follow the government's advice will chop and change their car every 2 - 3 years depending on what fuel type is best in the government's eyes at that moment.

I'd say just buy whatever you want.


I'm not sure that's the reason. It's not just car fuel that the "experts" keep changing their mind on.

In the 1970s we were heading for an ice age - by the 1990s the same scientists were telling us the world was warming up.

Red wine is said by some experts to be good for heart health. Others deny this. I keep on with the red wine. If it's good for you, I live longer. If it's bad, I die with a smile on my face. Either way, I win!
Mark Syder (like the drink only not spelled the same way)

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: Diesel now bad?

Postby jont- » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:39 am

onlinegenie wrote:Red wine is said by some experts to be good for heart health. Others deny this. I keep on with the red wine. If it's good for you, I live longer. If it's bad, I die with a smile on my face. Either way, I win!

http://kill-or-cure.herokuapp.com/a-z/w#term234 :lol:

chriskay
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:08 pm
Location: Shrewsbury

Re: Diesel now bad?

Postby chriskay » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:23 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I've always suspected this whole "certain fuel is better for your health" fiasco to be complete hogwash. I suspect the main reason they keep changing their minds is to keep up car sales, as people who follow the government's advice will chop and change their car every 2 - 3 years depending on what fuel type is best in the government's eyes at that moment.

I'd say just buy whatever you want.


You're a bit young to be a cynic. :D
Carpe diem

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Diesel now bad?

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:17 pm

onlinegenie wrote:I'm not sure that's the reason. It's not just car fuel that the "experts" keep changing their mind on.

In the 1970s we were heading for an ice age - by the 1990s the same scientists were telling us the world was warming up.

Red wine is said by some experts to be good for heart health. Others deny this. I keep on with the red wine. If it's good for you, I live longer. If it's bad, I die with a smile on my face. Either way, I win!

I don't think it's the whole reason, but it certainly must be a contributory factor.

If car sales slump, then the government loses money in tax, and it loses money from income tax as people will have to be laid off, then people who are out of work end up having to claim benefits thus costing the government more money.

It's in their interest to keep sales as high as they can.
.
And what better time to encourage people to switch back to petrols than right after the whole VW emissions fiasco. (The Yeti still hasn't had the 'fix').

chriskay wrote:You're a bit young to be a cynic. :D

Never too early to start. ;)

But even then, I despise the government. Especially the Tories. A bunch of self-centered arseholes that want all the money to themselves :)


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests