The new Top Gear team is announced

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
waremark

Re: The new Top Gear team is announced

Postby waremark » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:44 pm

Sabine and Chris Harris are the only ones I know. I would watch car stuff from either of them. Most of the time I used to find the old Top Gear entertaining, but with very little car content. With those two I should think there is scope for more car content (not quite sure why you would need the Stig with two other racing drivers on the team), and I wait to see whether or not the others are entertaining. I will give both this and the Amazon show a chance.

I hope the two new shows don't steal all the audience who currently watch car stuff on Youtube. One good thing (from my not so objective perspective) is that Chris Harris has stopped competing on Youtube.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:15 am

waremark wrote:not quite sure why you would need the Stig with two other racing drivers on the team

I was just thinking the same. It was entertaining to see the trio lose miserably to The Stig over and over again.

With Chris Harris and Sabine Schmitz, the Stig will have found his matches, and the hilarious quality to him would be lost.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:47 pm

I'm not sure Monkey is all that quick. On the other hand Sabine is. Perhaps the joke will be The Stig getting his balls handed to him on a nice wooden plinth every episode by Sabine.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:17 pm

StressedDave wrote:I'm not sure Monkey is all that quick. On the other hand Sabine is. Perhaps the joke will be The Stig getting his balls handed to him on a nice wooden plinth every episode by Sabine.

I thought his race results were sufficiently good to consider him a racing driver as well as a journo. Does anyone know?

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Is this him?
https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/chris-harris/

Be aware, there's a Chris Harris speedway rider, a racehorse trainer, and more . . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:24 pm

Even if he isn't quite so quick, it would still be a close match, which will rob The Stig of his comic element.

Sabine is quick all right (Although beating her times at the Nurburgring is not unheard of), but Chris Harris is no slouch.

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:53 pm

Horse wrote:Is this him?
https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/chris-harris/

Be aware, there's a Chris Harris speedway rider, a racehorse trainer, and more . . .

Yes, that seems to be him, here is a photo of him with a Rover SD1 at Goodwood, one of the examples in that record:

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl= ... AzCBUoEjAS

I cannot judge whether that record suggests he is of a pro driver standard.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:51 pm

waremark wrote:and the Amazon show a chance..

I'm sure I read an article that Amazon were going to pull the plug on the 'top gear' show they were producing because Jeremy managed to get himself in yet another conflict with yet another producer...

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:07 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:

I'm sure I read an article that Amazon were going to pull the plug on the 'top gear' show they were producing because Jeremy managed to get himself in yet another conflict with yet another producer...

I am sure that was a spoof. The alleged victim was Jeff Bezos, boss of Amazon.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:38 pm

waremark wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:

I am sure that was a spoof. The alleged victim was Jeff Bezos, boss of Amazon.

That bit may be a spoof, but it is true that Amazon were casting around for producers for the show in Australia on the basis that no UK producer wanted to get within punching range of Mr Potato...
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Return to “General Chat”