Left foot braking with automatics

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Keithrm

Re: Left foot braking with automatics

Postby Keithrm » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:43 pm

Again thank for all the replies, I have much to digest, not sure how a accurate that article is (120) killed a year but even if it was only 1 do you think we should encourage automatic drivers to adopt left foot braking to help control an auto whilst doing slow speed adjustments in tight areas

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:57 pm

Playtent wrote:
I do it all the time. :?

I said it first :D

Seriously thought it is like any other skill. I ride a motorbike almost every day your left foot is for changing gear ( Unless your riding an old British bike with the gear change on the right) My car is a full automatic ( fluid clutch) my wife's car has a semi auto box no clutch pedal but clutch actuation computer controlled. Each vehicle requires you to control it appropriately to get a smooth journey.
I insisted my children all learned to drive a standard manual shift and they have continued to purchase that mode. So currently I occasionally drive a Quasquai? Favorit or a MX5 just to keep my hand it at proper driving :-)
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:40 pm

exportmanuk wrote:
Playtent wrote:
I do it all the time. :?

I said it first :D

Seriously thought it is like any other skill. I ride a motorbike almost every day your left foot is for changing gear ( Unless your riding an old British bike with the gear change on the right) My car is a full automatic ( fluid clutch) my wife's car has a semi auto box no clutch pedal but clutch actuation computer controlled. Each vehicle requires you to control it appropriately to get a smooth journey.
I insisted my children all learned to drive a standard manual shift and they have continued to purchase that mode. So currently I occasionally drive a Quasquai? Favorit or a MX5 just to keep my hand it at proper driving :-)

Old Italian bikes as well I believe! I seem to remember Ducati had the gearchange on the right but then moved it to left.
To topic I think it is all down to acquired skill and even then Mr Murphy and Mr Sod may come along :)

Silk

Postby Silk » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:06 pm

Keithrm wrote:Again thank for all the replies, I have much to digest, not sure how a accurate that article is (120) killed a year but even if it was only 1 do you think we should encourage automatic drivers to adopt left foot braking to help control an auto whilst doing slow speed adjustments in tight areas

Simple answer: no.

Silk

Postby Silk » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:09 pm

TripleS wrote:
Silk wrote:
Keithrm wrote:Does anybody use left foot braking when doing slow speed maneuvering in an auto.

Some men left-foot brake in an automatic as their overly large penis interferes with the movement of their right leg.

If you are of normal "size", or a girl, it's not necessary. ;-)

After my experiences elsewhere I could see me getting into trouble with this topic. ;)

However, thank you for explaining why I found myself doing so much left foot braking. :lol:

I'm guessing it's much easier after the "operation". :lol:

Rick448

Postby Rick448 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:15 pm

sussex2 wrote:I wonder if some of these accidents are caused by drivers attempting to drive an auto with two feet, rather than the other way around.

Why do you think that would be the case? It's not really difficult is it? It just takes a minute to get used to the reduced pressure needed compared to a clutch.

Keithrm

Postby Keithrm » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:20 pm

Silk wrote:
Keithrm wrote:Again thank for all the replies, I have much to digest, not sure how a accurate that article is (120) killed a year but even if it was only 1 do you think we should encourage automatic drivers to adopt left foot braking to help control an auto whilst doing slow speed adjustments in tight areas

And your reason just interested

Silk

Postby Silk » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:29 pm

Keithrm wrote:
Silk wrote:

It means that your right foot performs the same function whether in a manual or auto, which avoids confusion when swapping between vehicles and, unless you're some weirdo driving geek, it's completely unnecessary.

Keithrm

Postby Keithrm » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:34 pm

Silk wrote:
Keithrm wrote:
Silk wrote:

It means that your right foot performs the same function whether in a manual or auto, which avoids confusion when swapping between vehicles and, unless you're some weirdo driving geek, it's completely unnecessary.

OK, I was just looking at ways of avoiding the deaths mentioned in the article

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:50 pm

Silk wrote:
Keithrm wrote:
Silk wrote:

I find it has advantages. I am of course a weirdo driving geek. If you're not, what are you doing here?

Return to “General Chat”