Left foot braking with automatics

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Keithrm

Left foot braking with automatics

Postby Keithrm » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi Folks
need a little information and as i have very limited experience with modern automatics...

Does anybody use left foot braking when doing slow speed maneuvering in an auto.
Do you have to press the brake pedal to allow selection of a drive option.
If you had, lets say, a stuck full throttle situation can you knock the transmission into neutral.

Hope someone can help

Regards

Keith

akirk

Re: Left foot braking with automatics

Postby akirk » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:50 pm

I have been known to use left foot braking at all speeds..
Mine has a button to select gear choices no brake required, and now that the button is worn, anything is possible! I do need the brake to operate the hood though!
Yes, neutral is selectable at any time... As I am used to the steptronic, when it is in drive I have been known to change into neutral instead!

However all autos are different, so depends on the car...
Alasdair

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:43 pm

I've never used left foot braking on automatics and have never felt the need for it.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:33 pm

I always use my left foot in automatics all speeds. Has on occasions caused the occasional embarrassing moments when switching back to manual boxes.

In answer to to initial question with full auto boxes ( fluid clutch) used of the brake to control the speed reversing is quite normal you have power to the drive all the time it is in reverse ( or drive for that matter) so using the brake can give you that fine control More difficult is semi Autos ( standard clutch controlled by a computer not a peddle) In these cases pressing the brake peddle disengages the clutch so you lose drive and just stop.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Keithrm wrote:Hi Folks
need a little information and as i have very limited experience with modern automatics...

Does anybody use left foot braking when doing slow speed maneuvering in an auto.
Do you have to press the brake pedal to allow selection of a drive option.
If you had, lets say, a stuck full throttle situation can you knock the transmission into neutral.

Hope someone can help

Regards

Keith

Yes, I often use left foot braking when slow speed manoeuvering in an auto - and at other times. If you have not done it previously, it takes quite some getting used to, during which you must be rather careful.

In many autos, you have to press the brake pedal to move the gear lever out of park.

Agreed that in most you could knock the transmission into neutral.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:34 pm

Generally I keep my left foot on the footrest. I don't need Left foot braking for road driving.

However, I dabble with it for fun and practice mostly. The left foot is used to pushing down on the clutch, which is quite heavy, or on the rigid footrest, so it usually lacks the sensitivity to operate the brakes.

If, when you start practicing, you think in terms of just setting your foot on the pedal or "kissing" it - than you'd get the right sensitivity. The moment you feel the sole of your shoe touch the brake pedal - you're actually braking.

The "struck throttle" situation is really mass hysteria. As if it doesn't happen with old cars with rusty cables. Flicking an automtic into neutral (from drive, at least) is terribly easy - you don't need to press anything, just flick it forward.

Also, your brakes overpower the throttle by several orders of magnitude (six times or more are often quoted) so if you just brake you should be able to bring the car to a halt or at least bring it to a very slow speed and than use the handbrake to help get it to stop perfectly or as a last resort - turn off the engine entirely.

The problem starts when people brake half-heartedly (especially on a petrol car where the brake booster is inefficient when the throttle is widely opened) and practically boil them up, losing the ability to stop the car.

true blue

Postby true blue » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:58 pm

I once used left foot braking entirely by accident when reversing an auto (old style torque converter, so using brakes to control speed is normal in that car). The car stopped very suddenly, and I wondered for a moment whether it was possible to stall an auto. I've no idea why I used my left foot, seeing as it wasn't something I'd ever done (nor even thought about).

That said, I've seen LFB used to good effect in an auto, and it's something on the 2016 list of things to explore...

Keithrm

Postby Keithrm » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:40 am

Thanks for the replies, I will digest tomorrow after this nightshift, cheers

Keithrm

Postby Keithrm » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:16 am

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:54 am

I wonder if some of these accidents are caused by drivers attempting to drive an auto with two feet, rather than the other way around.

Return to “General Chat”