end of a (LR) era...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
akirk

end of a (LR) era...

Postby akirk » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:01 am

10 am and the last defender drives off the line...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/motor ... -2016.html

Alasdair

Discov8

Re: end of a (LR) era...

Postby Discov8 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:18 am

I've had a lot of muddy, rocky, sandy, snowy and deep water times off roading in Defenders. The ladder chassis, separate body design, suspension and transmission are easy to modify for extreme off roading.
An end of an era in the UK.

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:16 pm

From a manufacturing point of view, it is the end of an era, but I believe that a very high proportion of all the Defenders ever built is still on the road (or track), so their days are far from numbered!

David

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:23 pm

I have owned them from the 50s / 60s / 70s and then range rovers from the 80s & 90s
though the RRs are more comfortable, the LRs have their own wonderful character and as you say - will no doubt still be going in another 50 years...
as a LR owner the great thing about this is of course that their value is increasing :)

Alasdair

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:05 pm

akirk wrote:as a LR owner the great thing about this is of course that their value is increasing :)

That's only useful if you can bring yourself to sell it! Or it becomes too valuable and you're scared to drive it which is not a great thing.

I've heard a few have firms have been buying them up to place in storage in case one from their current fleet goes wrong needs replacing.

Think there's been quite a spate of thefts recently, including my friends - Luckily it was fairly recognisable and spotted/recovered pretty quickly

angus

Postby angus » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:46 pm

What is all this misty eyed sentimentality?

Off road and towing I will accept they are virtully unbeatable. That probably accounts for less than 5% of all LR use

On road they are uncomfortable, slow, noisy and underpowered, with steering that was marginally more responsive than the QE2

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:44 pm

angus wrote:Off road and towing I will accept they are virtully unbeatable. That probably accounts for less than 5% of all LR use

On road they are uncomfortable, slow, noisy and underpowered, with steering that was marginally more responsive than the QE2

Says the man who runs an Alfa :roll: :twisted:

angus

Postby angus » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:29 pm

jont- wrote:
angus wrote:Off road and towing I will accept they are virtully unbeatable. That probably accounts for less than 5% of all LR use

Says the man who runs an Alfa :roll: :twisted:

She's not uncomfortable, she's no slower than the wife's Polo, she's meant to be noisy. OK I accept the underpowered. Steering's good tho'

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:44 pm

Is there a replacement? Or do farmers have to pose as hairdressers now in Evoques (or buy Toyotas)?
Nick

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:09 pm

I thought farmers switched to Daihatsu Fourtraks years ago. I don't know what they have been buying since those went out of production.

Return to “General Chat”