end of a (LR) era...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
gannet

Re: end of a (LR) era...

Postby gannet » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Is there a replacement? Or do farmers have to pose as hairdressers now in Evoques (or buy Toyotas)?

Replacement has been in the works but nothing announced yet...

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:27 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Is there a replacement?

Subaru?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:49 pm

Jonquirk wrote:I thought farmers switched to Daihatsu Fourtraks years ago. I don't know what they have been buying since those went out of production.

Wouldn't that be the Jimny's job?

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:20 pm

Jonquirk wrote:I thought farmers switched to Daihatsu Fourtraks years ago. I don't know what they have been buying since those went out of production.

Well, you know what I mean - National Parks rangers, Forestry officers, 4x4 Fire brigade vehicles, etc. etc. etc.
Nick

angus

Postby angus » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:31 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Is there a replacement? Or do farmers have to pose as hairdressers now in Evoques (or buy Toyotas)?

If they're anything like my in-laws, it won't be a problem for another 20 years

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:51 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:

The Jimny, while being wonderfully capable little off-roader that can go many places a Land Rover cannot, is not a replacement as a working vehicle. IMO.

If watching Countryfile is anything to go by, famers appear to be using ArgoCats and John Deere ATVs. For on-road duties they have no shortage of choice.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:08 pm

Most farmers around here drive huge shiny tractors, or a Disco 4 (huge shiny tractor ;) )

Alasdair

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:14 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:

The Jimny, while being wonderfully capable little off-roader that can go many places a Land Rover cannot, is not a replacement as a working vehicle. IMO.

If watching Countryfile is anything to go by, famers appear to be using ArgoCats and John Deere ATVs. For on-road duties they have no shortage of choice.

Is that so?

Would you put the Jimny in the same category as a Panda 4x4, surprisingly useful for people who live in the middle of nowhere down a muddy farm track, but just about useless for everything else?

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:39 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Would you put the Jimny in the same category as a Panda 4x4, surprisingly useful for people who live in the middle of nowhere down a muddy farm track, but just about useless for everything else?

I wouldn't put it in the same class as a Panda, even though they [Pandas] are remarkably competent away from the asphalt. The Jimny is a "real" off-roader, as opposed to a soft-roader. It has a ladder chassis and a proper low range gearbox and it will go pretty much anywhere. It can easily be used as a daily driver, and indeed is, being a popular workhorse amongst "horsey ladies". Its only serious downside is that, IMO, it has appalling on-road manners - the short wheelbase makes it feel really bouncy and harsh. They are quite a challenge to drive well and I am perfectly happy to pedal it anywhere except for longer journeys on high-speed DCs and Motorways. They just don't feel at home there and if we have to go anywhere further afield we take a different car.

ETA: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/fiat/panda/64029/fiat-panda-4x4-vs-suzuki-jimny

Return to “General Chat”