Porsche dealer sued for selling car to someone else in waiting list

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
stefaneinz

Re: Porsche dealer sued for selling car to someone else in waiting list

Postby stefaneinz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:50 pm

chriskay wrote:
waremark wrote:
chriskay wrote:
IcedKiwi wrote:Then there's McLaren where they said they were only going to make 500 675LT, no spyders. But now there's another 500 spyders and theP1 prototypes being sold as new cars much to owners dismay.

I know one owner of three McLarens who is so annoyed with the company that he's proposing to sell his P1.

I read the Flemke thread on Pistonheads so have seen this. It is quite an extreme reaction. All the relevant cars are selling at a premium; are customers really justified in complaining if the company takes advantage of the enormous excess of demand over supply?

I think that if a supposedly reputable company has reneged on an undertaking, customers have a right to be annoyed. I gather that Flemke is not entirely happy with the P1 and having tried a Porsche 918, prefers that.

I have a lot of sympathy with Flemke's position. His point is simple - he, and other owners, were told that the P1 would be limited to 375 units; it is now closer to, if not over, 400. And he was told that there would be no Spider version of the 675. Profit should not come at the expense of integrity.

As to the P1 leaving his stable for the 918, well I may be partly to blame for that. We had a super drive out with a few friends before Xmas in his P1, his 675LT and my 918. The 918 impressed most of us the most - it's just a more deeply engineered piece of kit, and perhaps surprisingly, given its extraordinary level of tech., it was the most analogue to drive of the three. Between the McLarens, I preferred the 675 to the P1 - sensationally nimble, better noise and less intimidating.

waremark

Re: Porsche dealer sued for selling car to someone else in waiting list

Postby waremark » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:32 am

I don't know why McLaren said there would not be a spider; I presume that at the time they said that there was no spider in their plans. Do you think they would have had trouble selling the 500 675 LT's if it had been known that they were going to make a series of spiders afterwards?

As it happens, I believe most if not all LT's were delivered after it was fairly well known that there would be a spider. I don't suppose many prospective buyers cancelled - if they did they would have been rejecting the opportunity to make a substantial profit on the cars. As Flemke will be able to do if he sells his P1 - the excess of the sale price of the P1 over the purchase cost of a 918 will probably be sufficient to pay for a 675 LT!

This is a more a market of collectibles than of cars. Stefaneinz is to be applauded as a buyer who really buys these cars to drive.

Return to “General Chat”