Being overtaken while turning.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
TheInsanity1234

Re: Being overtaken while turning.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I think you need to be careful with the "Jedi mind control". If someone runs into the back of you, and both they and the witness turning out of the junction say "he rushed up to the junction and then slammed his anchors on", some of the blame is going to attach to you. I'd rather adopt the slow and cautious approach, and let the person emerging for the junction make their own decisions. Taking this to the extreme, you can come to a complete stop before the junction if you need to, to let the turner emerge.

The issue with doing that is the overtaker.

If I stop, it increases the possibility of the overtaker going ahead and overtaking.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:41 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:If I stop, it increases the possibility of the overtaker going ahead and overtaking.

So what? If you have positioned more towards the crown of the road, without crossing a centre line, it lets the waiting driver assess whether it is safe to emerge.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:03 pm

That's what I'm getting at. You can't be in control of 3 cars at the same time. You have to:

first - consider your own safety
second - be considerate towards others
third - manage the traffic situation so that others don't get into danger. This is not, and never should be, your first consideration, imho.

I am, of course, aware why you started the thread, and I commend you for wanting to ensure that everyone is safe, but you can't do everything for them. Other drivers have to be responsible for theirs (and others') safety as well as you. Stephen Haley in Mind Driving says "driving is a team sport". Everyone should be trying to help everyone else out. You've done your part. Others have to do their bit too. You can only nudge them in the right direction.
Nick

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:03 pm

This is a situation where the driver of a large vehicle (usually a bus) will require any road user, even a cyclist, to emerge from the junction before they can enter the side road.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@50.7 ... ,90h,5p,1z

Nigel.

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:49 pm

I'd say, if SD solution doesn't appeal to you (I can understand the unease at having someone impatient up my beloved car's tail) I guess you can settle for the next best: force the following car to overtake you before the junction.

true blue

Postby true blue » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:19 pm

There's always another following car - and most people won't be 'forced' into overtaking unless you've come to a complete halt.

By all means try to be proactive at the junction, but trying to be clever 200 yards in advance will just piss people off.

As others have said, I'd move right before turning in, for the various reasons mentioned.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:29 pm

I remember a letter in the IAM magazine some 15 years ago, which was about this.
The jist of the letter was, " Why do people just mindlessly pull out round a left turner?"
It's the same with, in my experience, when busses pull in, followers just go round with little care for what's approaching or that a disembarking passenger might appear from the front of the bus.
This is, or should be, simple stuff for anyone with a driving licence.
Except, those who try to do it properly have to resort to, it would appear, "techniques", just to ensure their safety.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:03 am

Beg pardon, I haven't read all the contributions to this topic, but I do recognise the situation the OP describes, and I've often thought there could be a genuine difficulty here.

First of all I suspect what happens is that most drivers probably follow too closely on the heels of the one who is about to make the turn, even if the turn is signalled early enough, and they also fail to appreciate how much that car is going to need to slow down to make the turn. As a result they are surprised to find themselves obstructed in their progress, and the overtake is a spur of the moment response.

Best wishes all,
Dave - not getting out much these days, but still thinking. ;)

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:08 am

ChristianAB wrote:I'd say, if SD solution doesn't appeal to you (I can understand the unease at having someone impatient up my beloved car's tail) I guess you can settle for the next best: force the following car to overtake you before the junction.

I posted similar, earlier, but used the word 'encourage' :)

However, if it is as suggested, the left turn opposite Snellsmore Common into Mary Hare School, then that's impractical as the previous 1.5 miles affords no realistic overtaking opportunities after the M4 bridge.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:10 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote: Stephen Haley in Mind Driving says "driving is a non-contact team sport".

ftfy (and SH)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “General Chat”