Being overtaken while turning.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
TheInsanity1234

Re: Being overtaken while turning.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:36 pm

Horse wrote:
ChristianAB wrote:I'd say, if SD solution doesn't appeal to you (I can understand the unease at having someone impatient up my beloved car's tail) I guess you can settle for the next best: force the following car to overtake you before the junction.

I posted similar, earlier, but used the word 'encourage' :)

However, if it is as suggested, the left turn opposite Snellsmore Common into Mary Hare School, then that's impractical as the previous 1.5 miles affords no realistic overtaking opportunities after the M4 bridge.

It's actually the turn into Arlington Road, the one before the turn into MHS.

The turn into MHS isn't too bad, it's the Arlington Rd turning, but I prefer to go down there because there's far fewer speed bumps I've got to contend with going into school that way. Only 2, as opposed to 7 when going to my usual parking spot.

I have to admit, my mum often talks about how she misses the Essex drivers, and I've driven in Essex on a few occasions, and I see exactly what she means. People are far more aggressive in Essex than they are in Berkshire, but I'm certain the traffic flows much better because people take every opportunity they can to keep moving, whereas people around here will take 10 minutes to turn right into a main road because there wasn't a gap long enough to accommodate 500 cars, whereas in Essex people will just take a gap about 3 mm longer than their vehicle. Basically: "If it fits, I'm there".

I daresay I wouldn't have this issue when in Essex, as the second my indicator goes on while approaching the junction, an Essex driver would be out of there like a bullet out of a gun, whereas around here people seem to want to wait until you've stopped completely before they'll consider moving. :roll:

But hey, I shouldn't be complaining, because around here, the literal definition of rush hour seems to be when you're in a queue of about 4 cars at any time between 6:00 AM and 9:00 AM.

fungus

Re: Being overtaken while turning.

Postby fungus » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:54 pm

TripleS wrote:Beg pardon, I haven't read all the contributions to this topic, but I do recognise the situation the OP describes, and I've often thought there could be a genuine difficulty here.

First of all I suspect what happens is that most drivers probably follow too closely on the heels of the one who is about to make the turn, even if the turn is signalled early enough, and they also fail to appreciate how much that car is going to need to slow down to make the turn. As a result they are surprised to find themselves obstructed in their progress, and the overtake is a spur of the moment response.

Best wishes all,
Dave - not getting out much these days, but still thinking. ;)

You've pretty much hit the nail fairly and squarely on the head there Dave. As I ask my pupils, " Can you see into the junction?" to which the answer is usually "No" Then you can't see what the driver in front can see can you?

Nigel.

Return to “General Chat”