Where's Panda

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
angus

Where's Panda

Postby angus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:16 pm

Some of you may have seen this posted on Facebook or elsewhere, but in this morning's paper they were saying some people can't see the panda and I wondered if there was a correlation between the inanbility to see the panda and a general lack of observation when driving?

Adamxck

Re: Where's Panda

Postby Adamxck » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:46 pm

I saw this before it was cool
/hipster.

I found it within 5 seconds, as did my wife. I never considered it to be any more difficult than we found it but clearly people are struggling.

The difference between this and observation while driving is that people are a least looking for the panda, rather than staring at the number plate of the car in front, or their phone.
Adam.

gannet

Postby gannet » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:51 pm

well I couldnt find it last night when tired and after a drink...

now though, easy :D

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:10 pm

I couldn't see it while just looking at the complete image - my eye was repeatedly drawn to the differentiated snowmen - but it was easy enough to spot when I scanned row by row, as in, I didn't skip over it during the systematic search.

angus wrote:I wondered if there was a correlation between the inanbility to see the panda and a general lack of observation when driving?

That would suggest a very simple model of how drivers spot hazards, and probably about as accurate as the idea of repeatedly looking to the far distance then drawing the focus back in a side-to-side scan. Eye tracking technology appears to show that good drivers actively look (point-to-point-scanning) at specific locations from where, they expect, hazards might develop.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:49 pm

I spotted it within 10 seconds on my first attempt, but then I've generally been pretty good at spotting things like that.

Carbon Based

Postby Carbon Based » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:35 pm

A nice, elegant example.

You may well have seen these two:
https://youtu.be/vJG698U2Mvo
and
https://youtu.be/qpPYdMs97eE

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:11 am

I saw a polar bear :) Purple scarf is the nose.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:17 am

As said earlier, if you ask people to look for something then they are more likely to see it.

http://msac.org.nz/assets/Uploads/pdf/P ... 82-web.pdf

" . . . detection was much earlier when
participants were asked specifically to search for motorcycles"
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:15 pm

Rather than looking for a panda, maybe its a case of good observation to rather look for a lack of carrot? :D

I like to think I am fairly good with observing. I seem to have a knack for seeing impending doom. I was following a car on a fairly big main road 30 limit the other day, and he started to indicate left well in advance. All good. I then noticed 200 yards ahead a pedestrian walking, and likely to cross this road junction and the timing looked impeccable for a clash. Sure enough car turning left had to stop, startled pedestrian in their own world in the middle of the junction apologises and dashes across. No real danger at all but I felt happy I saw it and was prepared.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:44 am

devonutopia wrote:Rather than looking for a panda, maybe its a case of good observation to rather look for a lack of carrot? :D

I like to think I am fairly good with observing. I seem to have a knack for seeing impending doom. I was following a car on a fairly big main road 30 limit the other day, and he started to indicate left well in advance. All good. I then noticed 200 yards ahead a pedestrian walking, and likely to cross this road junction and the timing looked impeccable for a clash. Sure enough car turning left had to stop, startled pedestrian in their own world in the middle of the junction apologises and dashes across. No real danger at all but I felt happy I saw it and was prepared.

I have a 6th sense for things like that. I'm often the first in the car to spot things like that. Although I've noticed there are occasions where I'll get fixated on one object and miss other hazards until a bit close for comfort. I'm trying to develop some kind of scanning technique that'll make sure I cover all the main hazards and reduce my risk of becoming fixated.

Return to “General Chat”