Where's Panda

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
ancient

Re: Where's Panda

Postby ancient » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:25 am

devonutopia wrote:Rather than looking for a panda, maybe its a case of good observation to rather look for a lack of carrot? :D

I like to think I am fairly good with observing. I seem to have a knack for seeing impending doom. I was following a car on a fairly big main road 30 limit the other day, and he started to indicate left well in advance. All good. I then noticed 200 yards ahead a pedestrian walking, and likely to cross this road junction and the timing looked impeccable for a clash. Sure enough car turning left had to stop, startled pedestrian in their own world in the middle of the junction apologises and dashes across. No real danger at all but I felt happy I saw it and was prepared.

Why on earth was the pedestrian the one to apologise?

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:11 pm

ancient wrote:
devonutopia wrote:Rather than looking for a panda, maybe its a case of good observation to rather look for a lack of carrot? :D

I like to think I am fairly good with observing. I seem to have a knack for seeing impending doom. I was following a car on a fairly big main road 30 limit the other day, and he started to indicate left well in advance. All good. I then noticed 200 yards ahead a pedestrian walking, and likely to cross this road junction and the timing looked impeccable for a clash. Sure enough car turning left had to stop, startled pedestrian in their own world in the middle of the junction apologises and dashes across. No real danger at all but I felt happy I saw it and was prepared.

Why on earth was the pedestrian the one to apologise?

If the pedestrian was already crossing then they have priority, but so many, especially joggers, don't bother to look untill they have stepped into the road. What is worrying, is that many are motorists. :shock:

ancient

Postby ancient » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:22 am

fungus wrote:If the pedestrian was already crossing then they have priority, but so many, especially joggers, don't bother to look until they have stepped into the road. What is worrying, is that many are motorists. :shock:

If I'm driving along and want to go straight past a left-hand junction, I don't expect to give way to overtakers turning left. If they try to cut in front I will take avoiding action but would not expect to be the one apologising! Why should pedestrians, who are simply non-motorised road users, be any different?

Matt1962

Postby Matt1962 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:23 am

If I'm driving along and want to go straight past a left-hand junction, I don't expect to give way to overtakers turning left. If they try to cut in front I will take avoiding action but would not expect to be the one apologising! Why should pedestrians, who are simply non-motorised road users, be any different?

Unless I am misunderstanding the situation, the car driver was turning into the path of the pedestrian who was already established on his part of the road (the pavement). Whilst an alert pedestrian might have anticipated this it would seem to me that the onus is completely on the driver to make sure that his manoeuvre will not bring him into conflict with the pedestrian.
What if the pedestrian on the pavement had been a cyclist in a cycle lane?

Matt1962

Postby Matt1962 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:26 am

Sorry ancient! Re-reading your post I think I am probably just agreeing with you.

Return to “General Chat”