Welcome & Approach

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
ChristianAB

Re: Welcome & Approach

Postby ChristianAB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:02 pm

It is not about volume but about quality. I'd rather have a few high quality posts/discussions than loads of pointless banter.
I have also noticed that a number of oldies on aduk too easily fall into private joke territory, clouding even genuinely interesting thread. Some advice should be given here in order not to repeat that here.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:09 pm

Hi, I've found this forum thanks to Nick's post on another forum. Are there any thoughts as to how other ADUK members can be told of this new forum?

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:28 pm

jcochrane wrote:Hi, I've found this forum thanks to Nick's post on another forum. Are there any thoughts as to how other ADUK members can be told of this new forum?

I sent messages to a few who had expressed a desire to leave / do something different, I am not sure what else might work - I don't want to be posting on one forum 'poaching' people to come to another - e.g. pistonheads AD section might make sense, but I am not quite sure how you would phrase it in a polite and acceptable way... It is probably worthwhile those who know other members making contact... other ideas are welcome

Alasdair

skodatezzer

Postby skodatezzer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:31 pm

We should make sure that Insanity 1234 knows where we've gone - would be a shame to lose the entertainment value!

skodatezzer

Postby skodatezzer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:56 pm

Suited the action to the word. I've PM'd him.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:58 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Your account has gone Brown, although if it hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to help any more, because I've now been removed from the admin list. Martin / JonT - you too?

I am shocked to hear that you and others have been removed from admin. Did Rob say he would not do that? I think that is cause for concern.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:54 am

ChristianAB wrote:It is not about volume but about quality. I'd rather have a few high quality posts/discussions than loads of pointless banter.
I have also noticed that a number of oldies on aduk too easily fall into private joke territory, clouding even genuinely interesting thread. Some advice should be given here in order not to repeat that here.

The answer here, as anywhere, is to use the "report post " button (the little exclamation mark) to let the admin team know, so that something can be done. I think some degree of banter among people who've spent quite a lot of time in each other's company (both online and in person), is inevitable, but I can see how it would become distracting in the middle of a serious discussion. So report it, and a mod can prune a few posts and issue a friendly reminder, so things get back on track.
Nick

hir

Postby hir » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:45 pm

jont- wrote:
akirk wrote:Will there not always be a conscious awareness of the link in what people post?

Depends entirely on Rob. But given most of the value of ADUK is it's independence, it would seem strange to throw that away.

/devils advocate - how do we know you'll never sell this forum in the future if we spend lots of time building this up?

If he does, we'll just ask him to start another one for us and we'll all go there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:02 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
ChristianAB wrote:It is not about volume but about quality. I'd rather have a few high quality posts/discussions than loads of pointless banter.

The answer here, as anywhere, is to use the "report post " button (the little exclamation mark) to let the admin team know, so that something can be done. I think some degree of banter among people who've spent quite a lot of time in each other's company (both online and in person), is inevitable, but I can see how it would become distracting in the middle of a serious discussion. So report it, and a mod can prune a few posts and issue a friendly reminder, so things get back on track.

OK, noted. 8-)

....and thanks to Alasdair, Chris and Nick for 'inviting' me here. Are you sure that was a good move? ;)

Best wishes all,
Dave.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:04 pm

TripleS wrote:
....and thanks to Alasdair, Chris and Nick for 'inviting' me here. Are you sure that was a good move? ;)

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Can we plead the fifth ammendment on that?! :)

Alasdair

Return to “General Chat”