Welcome & Approach

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Strangely Brown

Re: Welcome & Approach

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:55 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Your account has gone Brown, although if it hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to help any more, because I've now been removed from the admin list. Martin / JonT - you too?

Thank you, and thanks Martin for deleting the account and posts. I am so glad that I did it now and didn't wait. I had a feeling that it would be stopped once it was noticed. The value of the forum is its content. If the content disappears then there is nothing to attract all those new members that he plans and his purchase becomes a waste of money. So much for letting the members run the forum eh?

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:13 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Your account has gone Brown, although if it hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to help any more, because I've now been removed from the admin list. Martin / JonT - you too?

Thank you, and thanks Martin for deleting the account and posts. I am so glad that I did it now and didn't wait. I had a feeling that it would be stopped once it was noticed. The value of the forum is its content. If the content disappears then there is nothing to attract all those new members that he plans and his purchase becomes a waste of money. So much for letting the members run the forum eh?

Personally I think it's a bit toys-out-of-the-pram to start deleting stuff before you've had a chance to see what happens. The odds are google, wayback machine and others have cached the content anyway. Quite frankly to post stuff on the 'net then expect to be able to remove it later on a whim is naive anyway. And by removing it, ADUK has the opportunity to thrash through old topics again, without Gareth being able to link to the previous 3 times it was covered :lol:

Maybe I'm biased - without ADUK I'd probably never have got involved in advanced driving in the first place, but it would be a real shame to end up with 2 semi-deserted sites, neither really having critical mass or new members.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:36 pm

jont- wrote:Personally I think it's a bit toys-out-of-the-pram to start deleting stuff before you've had a chance to see what happens. The odds are google, wayback machine and others have cached the content anyway. Quite frankly to post stuff on the 'net then expect to be able to remove it later on a whim is naive anyway.

I don't need to wait and see what is going to happen to know that I don't want my posts on a site that formally sponsors an organisation that is directly opposed to that which I hold dear. I am quite happy that I have made the effort to have it removed and make no apology for it. I am perfectly well aware that it could all, quite easily, be recovered from backup if it were that important to them and I know all about google caches and wayback machine and accept that there is nothing that I can do about them. I could, however, do something about the ADUK site so I did.

jont- wrote:And by removing it, ADUK has the opportunity to thrash through old topics again, without Gareth being able to link to the previous 3 times it was covered :lol:

For that I do apologise. I do feel bad about cutting off that avenue of pleasure for Gareth.

jont- wrote:Maybe I'm biased - without ADUK I'd probably never have got involved in advanced driving in the first place, but it would be a real shame to end up with 2 semi-deserted sites, neither really having critical mass or new members.

Well, if that's the way that it turns out then it will be a shame. I am perfectly happy at having jumped ship and even more so since the removal of admin rights for Martin and Nick. Rob clearly has more plans for the content of the ADUK forum than he lets on.

Playtent

Postby Playtent » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:49 pm

I've dragged across one of my posts which I'd copied as I spent a while typing it and it may be of interest to eventual new members if thats ok?

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:even more so since the removal of admin rights for Martin and Nick..

He doesn't care about your admin rights Jon, you've upset him now! :P
Nick

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:23 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:even more so since the removal of admin rights for Martin and Nick..

He doesn't care about your admin rights Jon, you've upset him now! :P

Oh, I didn't know that Jon had been bumped too. I suspect that he removed admin rights for all but himself? Can't have those meddling users deleting content that he's paid for now.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:27 pm

Well, he didn't inform us of his reasons - another reason to be somewhat cautious.

Still, we're here now!
Nick

martine

Postby martine » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:54 pm

In fairness to Rob I did ask to be removed as an admin as I thought I might have a conflict of interest.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:01 pm

Oh, herro.
Adam.

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Playtent wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I think Darren always had that ambition - to supplement / replace / subsume the AD qualifications available by offering his own. A laudable ambition, even if a bit of a pipedream, certainly from a hands-off standpoint.

I wonder why he didn't make it known that he was looking to move on so others could have considered the challenge.

Just curious for when you sell my posts to Brake, who's is this now?

There is an irony here in that I tried to get hold of Darren to see if he needed help with ADUK - even offering to buy the forum if that was necessary to keep it running as it was - but couldn't get hold of him...

However, in response to a careless comment I made and then a conversation with Mr CW I set this up last night - registering the domain (and .co.uk) and putting up the hosting on one of my servers / installing PHPBB3.1 (so that there is familiarity but it should be mobile responsive as well) and then making sure that Mr CW was promoted to admin so that we had someone with wisdom and discernment behind the scenes :D

So technically I own the domains / hosting / forum - but I hopefully cover that on page three of this thread - for me the value is in its independence, and I don't want to run the forum commercially - ideally I would prefer not to have adverts / etc. I would like it to be about the community and the discussion / the online and offline meeting of minds (agreement and disagreement!)

ADUK seemed to have two sides to it - the forum and the rest, from his comments Rob was buying it for the non-forum bit to give him 'google juice' (i.e. links and SEO) to drive traffic to his commercial organisation - it can be a very cheap way (if the price is right, and Darren's reply suggests it was) of buying traffic - I suspect that Rob wanted the link power, and possibly maintaining the forum came as a price to keep the overall cost down - i.e. maintain Darren's vision and it is a cheap purchase / buy it for the links not the forum and it is more expensive...

Some of the best forums I have seen though manage to avoid the temptation to go for huge numbers at the expense of quality of content - lower numbers but higher quality contribution is key (though that might be too much to ask for :D) - then the costs of running the forum are not as high, so less advertising / income is needed - or an individual can afford to fund it (as I am) - hopefully this makes it a better community - the minute you start to bring in advertising, it brings expectations and change with it...

Alasdair

Return to “General Chat”