Tesla X?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

Tesla X?

Postby martine » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:29 pm

https://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/modelx

I want one even if I don't have a use for 7 seats!

0-60 3.2s, 250m range, 20 minute half-charge - impressive no?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

StressedDave

Re: Tesla X?

Postby StressedDave » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:10 pm

No, once you realise that the first two are mutually incompatible... And the 20 minute half-charge won't be universal. And you're even less green than a petrol engine given that 50% of the energy going into it comes from dirty, dirty coal fuelled power stations (not to mention a large chunk of the rest coming from gas and other polluting non-renewables)

/climbs off soapbox shaking head at the idiocy of those who swallow the eco-bollocks of an electrically powered vehicle.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:37 pm

and SD's mutterings aside...

Regular over-the-air updates add safety and navigation features, enhance performance and improve the driver experience

mmm - and recent stories would suggest that they could cause you to crash :D

Model X is the safest, fastest and most capable sport utility vehicle in history.

Model X is the SUV uncompromised.

mmm - nope :D it is an electric estate with 4 wheel drive - it is not an SUV in any shape or form - giving a car all wheel drive does not make it the new landrover...

yes, it is fast, yes the rear doors look fun, yes you have 7 seats (and presumably no luggage space!), but a practical / SUV / ute type car it is not...

Alasdair

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:49 pm

If you can't get a wardrobe in it, I don't want one.

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:03 pm

Nah.
Adam.

Synchromesh

Postby Synchromesh » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:43 pm

StressedDave wrote:No, once you realise that the first two are mutually incompatible...

As with any ICE (internal combustion engine) car's performance / economy figures...

StressedDave wrote:And the 20 minute half-charge won't be universal.

Supercharger network is expanding rapidly. It's perfect for the times when you're doing a 250+ journey away from home. In daily use you can just charge it overnight when it would otherwise just be sitting on the drive.

StressedDave wrote:And you're even less green than a petrol engine given that 50% of the energy going into it comes from dirty, dirty coal fuelled power stations (not to mention a large chunk of the rest coming from gas and other polluting non-renewables)

53% of UK electricity production is from fossil fuels (coal, gas and oil combined), the rest is nuclear & renewables. But even if it we assume it's 100% fossil fuels, it's far more efficient to generate power en masse in a power station than it is to have thousands of ICEs.

The bigger picture is that fossil-fuel's share of electricity production is shrinking, so the CO2/km of electric cars will only improve in coming years.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:27 pm

Personally, in our current scenario, we'd be better off with a electric car for the back 'n' forth commute, a total of 30 miles a day (probably could go a week without needing a charge), and a efficient petrol for the longer journeys.

But hey, my parents decided to get 2 diesels so never mind.

Rick448

Postby Rick448 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:44 pm

No thank you. You can call me a Luddite but I prefer a fool petrol engine to any other fuel offering.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:51 pm

Synchromesh wrote:it's far more efficient to generate power en masse in a power station than it is to have thousands of ICEs.

Does this take transmission and storage losses into account?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Synchromesh

Postby Synchromesh » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:55 pm

Does the subject have to be so polarising though? For me, the ideal would be a Tesla to do 20k pa in, and a Caterham to do 5k pa (weekends, track days etc). Like my own kind of carbon offset ;)
Last edited by Synchromesh on Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chat”