Tailgaiters (aggressive drivers behind) - any advise please

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
dvenman

Re: Tailgaiters (aggressive drivers behind) - any advise please

Postby dvenman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:53 pm

Astraist wrote:And since you mentioned counting past a marker: How many of us actually do that with the car we are following, and how frequently do we do so?

Every drive on a frequent basis. I'm not keeping a constant 2 seconds but it'll get there in time.

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:40 pm

sussex2 wrote:My usual method is to either pull over or gently encourage the following vehicle to overtake.
Or perhaps the roundabout trick which has already been mentioned.

What the following driver may not realise is that I have taken control of their driving; in effect it is me and not them that is controlling the situation.
I wonder how many drivers who make a habit of following too closely realise this.

That is why I would want to pass a slower driver when I catch them up: I am no longer driving to the conditions but rather to how they react to the conditions.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:27 pm

dvenman wrote:Every drive on a frequent basis. I'm not keeping a constant 2 seconds but it'll get there in time.

Very well. How do you measure? that is to say, what do you use as a marker?

Using lamp posts as markers, for instance, is bullocks. We need to use marks on the road (chevrons, arrows) to be anywhere near accurate. The words one needs to use in order to count also need to be made of enough syllabels to ensure that the margin is measured properly, and it's a good idea to measure two times in a row to ensure that little bits of engine braking won't change our estimation of following distance.

As for maintaining a full two seconds: Reaction times measure broadly, as do stopping capabilities. So that a temporary 1.5 seconds margin is perfectly acceptable. On the other end, many drivers (typically not advaned drivers, though) would need three seconds rather than two, to be safe.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:41 am

I measure using cats eyes/reflectors shadows, marks on the kerb, from the rear of the car in front to the front of mine.

Return to “General Chat”