Tailgaiters (aggressive drivers behind) - any advise please

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
sped691

Tailgaiters (aggressive drivers behind) - any advise please

Postby sped691 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:21 pm

Does anyone have any advise on how to deal with tailgaiters/drivers who drive aggressively behind you (or whom I perceive to be driving aggressively)?

As an example, this morning in the dark on a twisty B road, heavy rain, windy conditions with lots of puddles and standing water, I felt very intimated by the following driver who was following too close, seemed to remain out in a "overtaking" position the entire time. Seems that I wasn't going fast enough for their liking. For want of a better word this had the effect of getting me "flustered" and found that it really knocked me of my stide and had a detrimental effect on my driving. This is probably the only aspect of driving/other road users behavior which causes such a reaction in me. In tips for combatting it at all?

fengpo

Re: Tailgaiters (aggressive drivers behind) - any advise please

Postby fengpo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:37 pm

Increase the following distance from the vehicle in front. Tailgaters seem to get the message with this technique, don't let them bully you into speeding up.

Option b) buy an Audi tailgaters don't like the rear bumper of Audi's.

Ps may be a good idea to introduce yourself :)

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:37 pm

Either pull over somewhere safe to let them past, or drive so that you can stop in the distance the other driver can see to be clear (I think someone mentioned having a four second rule on a motorway with a tailgater, so you're covering their and your 2 second gap).

And as for combatting it, it's your state of mind - concentrate on your drive, not theirs. And remember that it's their insurance which will pay out if you need to stop and they can't.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:40 pm

As fengpo says - give more space, and that gives more scope for safe stopping if you have to stop slower to prevent them from piling into the back of you...

Also, if they really want to overtake - make it easy for them, pull across to the left if safe / give them space to overtake into / etc. - I would rather have an idiot in front of me than trying to climb into my boot...

But also, an opportunity to review your own driving - are you not driving up to speed for some reason / could you make more progress and maintain safety? I don't often have a tailgater behind me... :)

Alasdair

hir

Postby hir » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:52 pm

sped691 wrote:Does anyone have any advise on how to deal with tailgaiters/drivers who drive aggressively behind you (or whom I perceive to be driving aggressively)?

... the following driver who was following too close, seemed to remain out in a "overtaking" position the entire time.

Did you consider trying to assist the other driver to get past you? If not, why not?

Better to focus on trying to help him get past rather than getting annoyed, irritated, pious etc etc.

Tailgaters are only really, really annoying when you try and assist them to get past you, but they won't accept the invitation to overtake.
Last edited by hir on Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:38 pm

I just let them pass at the first available safe place. Essentially I plan as if I were trying to overtake me, once its 'on', I'll indicate left, slow a touch and hope they make the best of it.
Adam.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:30 pm

hir wrote:Tailgaters are only really, really annoying when you try and assist them to get past you, but they won't accept the invitation to overtake.

I've never had a problem with tailgaters who take the first safe opportunity to overtake, and I will gladly assist them in their overtake, but if they're the sort of absent-minded driver who drives about 4 inches off your rear bumper for no reason, that's when I get truly irritated.

Rick448

Postby Rick448 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:10 pm

gannet

Postby gannet » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:25 am

As others have already stated, pull over and let them past when you can. All too easy to let it affect you drive and state of mind.

sped691

Postby sped691 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:04 am

Thank you to everyone for their replies and advice, I guess some points for self reflection in there as well.

Return to “General Chat”