Issues with our car...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
User avatar
Synchromesh
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: Issues with our car...

Postby Synchromesh » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:42 am

Dual mass flywheel

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: Issues with our car...

Postby jont- » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:48 am

Synchromesh wrote:Dual mass flywheel

Agreed for the kangarooing symptoms, suspect the other issue may be something else.

If it's about to be replaced, just don't drive the thing. Hiring a car for a week is probably cheaper than investigating/fixing any problems.

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Issues with our car...

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:48 pm

What is supposed to be good about the DMF? Never quite understood the purpose of them...

Not driving it is actually quite easy for us to do, it only did about 5000 miles between its annual services last year, and the tyres on it have been on for the last 3 years now and still have a load of tread on. We have 2 cars in the house, and the Galaxy is only really used for days out, the Yeti is used for just about everything else.

Gareth
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:44 pm
Location: Berkshire
Contact:

Re: Issues with our car...

Postby Gareth » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:39 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:What is supposed to be good about the DMF?

Modern turbo-diesel engines have relatively huge spikes of power at low engine speeds; the DMF is designed to prevent damage to the drive-train from the engine. I understand the main causes of failure are not depressing the clutch when starting or stopping the engine, and putting the engine under load at low engine speeds. For the latter, it the engine sets up a vibration through the car, then the engine speed is probably too low and the DMF is unable to absorb the vibration.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Issues with our car...

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:29 pm

Gareth wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:What is supposed to be good about the DMF?

Modern turbo-diesel engines have relatively huge spikes of power at low engine speeds; the DMF is designed to prevent damage to the drive-train from the engine. I understand the main causes of failure are not depressing the clutch when starting or stopping the engine, and putting the engine under load at low engine speeds. For the latter, it the engine sets up a vibration through the car, then the engine speed is probably too low and the DMF is unable to absorb the vibration.

Well, that explains why the Yeti won't start the engine unless you've depressed the clutch. Always assumed it was some kind of protection against damaging the starter due to trying to start the engine whilst a gear is engaged.

Although I find the fact the gear-suggesting-thing-which-I-ignore does seem to encourage you to drive in the highest gear possible, which sets a nasty vibration going through the car unless you're travelling at a speed which means the rpm is above 1500.

User avatar
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:01 pm
Location: Swindon

Re: Issues with our car...

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:40 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Well, that explains why the Yeti won't start the engine unless you've depressed the clutch

No, it's just a very common interlock to stop you starting the car in gear.
Nick

Gareth
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:44 pm
Location: Berkshire
Contact:

Re: Issues with our car...

Postby Gareth » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:13 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Well, that explains why the Yeti won't start the engine unless you've depressed the clutch

No, it's just a very common interlock to stop you starting the car in gear.

... which could be exceedingly useful in some circumstances.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Issues with our car...

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Gareth wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Well, that explains why the Yeti won't start the engine unless you've depressed the clutch

No, it's just a very common interlock to stop you starting the car in gear.

... which could be exceedingly useful in some circumstances.

The only circumstances I can think of involve a very weak handbrake and a steep hill...?

User avatar
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:01 pm
Location: Swindon

Re: Issues with our car...

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:21 pm

Broken clutch is one, Insanity. In those circumstances, when you need to stop, you have to get going again somehow. I know at least one person who's completed a journey of several hundred miles this way :)
Nick

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Issues with our car...

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:11 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Broken clutch is one, Insanity. In those circumstances, when you need to stop, you have to get going again somehow. I know at least one person who's completed a journey of several hundred miles this way :)

What, as in the clutch pedal broke, so the clutch was always engaged?


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests