Old ADUK...oh dear

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
TripleS

Re: Old ADUK...oh dear

Postby TripleS » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:40 pm

waremark wrote:hir is feeling disappointed that the guy has walked away - he was enjoying a nice ding-dong.

A reliable source has given me to understand that it might actually be a female rather than a guy. On the other hand there seem to be quite a few 'convertibles' around these days, so it may be a bit difficult to be sure.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:29 pm

TripleS wrote:
waremark wrote:hir is feeling disappointed that the guy has walked away - he was enjoying a nice ding-dong.

A reliable source has given me to understand that it might actually be a female rather than a guy. On the other hand there seem to be quite a few 'convertibles' around these days, so it may be a bit difficult to be sure.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Perhaps it would not be wise to make jokes like that in the future.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:46 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Really?

I'm not so sure it should be regarded as merely a joke, though in this case that's all it was, even if some may consider it in poor taste.

We all know that nature 'misfires' sometimes, but is it now happening more often than it did in earlier eras, or it simply that people are now inclined to be more open about their feelings? I suspect it is the former rather than the latter, but I don't really know.

Anyhow, I don't want this to become a basis for conflict here, so I think we should leave it at that; but I do wonder what the future holds for our species.

I'm now going to leave it at that unless anyone wishes to make an issue of it.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:53 pm

Whether from science and technology or observation and thought, we are now much better than we have ever been at identifying 'different'. Arguably, we're (in the uk at least) more accepting too.

Part of that is we can identify traits such as ASD which might have previously been given less pleasant names. However, if the identification is simply a 'label ' then it's of no benefit.

Along with recognition of different has come laws on discrimination. Tastes in humour, and acceptability, has changed too.

Did you actually want a serious answer?

:)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:13 pm

TripleS wrote:Really?

I'm not so sure it should be regarded as merely a joke, though in this case that's all it was, even if some may consider it in poor taste.

We all know that nature 'misfires' sometimes, but is it now happening more often than it did in earlier eras, or it simply that people are now inclined to be more open about their feelings? I suspect it is the former rather than the latter, but I don't really know.

Anyhow, I don't want this to become a basis for conflict here, so I think we should leave it at that; but I do wonder what the future holds for our species.

I'm now going to leave it at that unless anyone wishes to make an issue of it.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I can understand that you'd have a different sense of humour to me, as we are from different generations, and things like that, which your generation would've found amusing, are not very amusing to my generation. Also, being profoundly deaf and gay, I know what it's like to be made a joke of, and it's not particularly nice.

Sure, you may complain about being 'politically correct', and I'd be the first to agree that at times, it goes too far, but I'd rather live in a society where everyone was amused by eggs, rather than jokes that actually took a minor group in society and effectively told them "you're nothing more than a source of amusement."

You say that nature 'misfiring' is more common, I'd argue we have, on average, the same number of 'misfires', but people are feeling more confident about being themselves, and thus, asking for the appropriate treatment to give them the physical body to match the person they feel they should have been born as.

I would hate for this subject to become a basis of conflict, but I feel it would be a very interesting discussion to have.

Apologies for going on a tiny rant, it's just that this is a very important thing in my life.

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:36 pm

My Grandfather is 95 and refers to both my wife, who is black and my best friend, who is asian, in somewhat unsavory language. He means no ill by it.

I can find jokes about black people and asian people quite amusing.

He is not racist. I am not racist, but people will be offended both by what Grandad says and some of the jokes I find funny.

Unless a joke or nasty comment is directed at a specific person or group for whatever reason with the 8ntent to cause harm, its just a matter of choosing not to be offended.
Adam.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:22 pm

Well, I'll just shut up then. :roll:

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:55 pm

I think you misunderstood my point. Or im so bad at writing, i miscommunicated it.

Ive tried again but failed so have deleted what i was going to write.

In short, i dont think its worth worrying about. Perhaps its something you develop as you get older, but the sooner you realise that you dont actually need to give a sh*t about what other people think, unless they are directly trying to harm you, the better.

You are if course totaly free to be offended, or not, but its generally a more pleasant existance when you default to 'not'.
Adam.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:02 pm

Adamxck wrote:I think you misunderstood my point. Or im so bad at writing, i miscommunicated it.

Ive tried again but failed so have deleted what i was going to write.

In short, i dont think its worth worrying about. Perhaps its something you develop as you get older, but the sooner you realise that you dont actually need to give a sh*t about what other people think, unless they are directly trying to harm you, the better.

You are if course totaly free to be offended, or not, but its generally a more pleasant existance when you default to 'not'.

I've taken a breather.

Generally, that's how I live. I default to "I don't give a shit", but at times I just need to get angry about something.

I just merely wanted to make people aware that it's not the greatest subject to be joking about, but accidentally ended up ranting about it.

Whoops.

Silk

Postby Silk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:41 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

It wasn't a joke, it was an observation. I happen to find most of what Dave says to be wise and, on occasion, highly amusing - especially when he's ruffling the feathers of the forum "establishment" who, let's be honest, need their feathers ruffling from time-to-time.

Return to “General Chat”