Old ADUK...oh dear

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Silk

Re: Old ADUK...oh dear

Postby Silk » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:01 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:All I wanted was to point out that in the modern day, jokes like that were brushing on the border of offensiveness. The problem really is that everybody would react differently to that kind of joke.

You say that as if only the young live in the modern world and the older generations live in another time, only to pop out now and again to buy a paper and mutter to themselves about how much better it was in "their day".

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:51 pm

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:All I wanted was to point out that in the modern day, jokes like that were brushing on the border of offensiveness. The problem really is that everybody would react differently to that kind of joke.

You say that as if only the young live in the modern world and the older generations live in another time, only to pop out now and again to buy a paper and mutter to themselves about how much better it was in "their day".

The 'old', however, had the nurture element of upbringing in the previous level of acceptance.

Examples? Well, let's look at popular culture 'then' . . .
Alf Garnet
'Love thy neighbour'

Or how about looking at changes in legislation. Actually let's not. Because you know exactly what is acceptable now, or is prohibited now. You don't need me to spell it out.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Playtent

Postby Playtent » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:44 pm

Silk wrote:

The one thing that really gets my goat about young people is that I'm not one of them! :cry:

Silk

Postby Silk » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:07 pm

Horse wrote:Examples? Well, let's look at popular culture 'then' . . .
Alf Garnet
'Love thy neighbour'

Fantastic examples of anti-racist satire - only a thick lefty would see them as anything else. Far better than what we have these days, which seems to consist primarily of a few banned words.

You should go on YouTube and watch a few episodes of the above and prepare for a good laugh - it's quite obvious you've never actually watched them or, at least, not recently.

Silk

Postby Silk » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:14 pm

Playtent wrote:
Silk wrote:

The one thing that really gets my goat about young people is that I'm not one of them! :cry:

As you sit in your own home drawing a fat pension - must really piss you off. ;)

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:45 pm

Silk wrote:

I don't mind admitting that I think certain things were better 'in my day.'

Anyhow, you remind me of a comment made by an elderly relative of mine some years ago when listening to some young people sounding off on a certain topic: "Aye, they can talk alright, but their problem is that they haven't lived long enough!"

I do not wish to dismiss the views of the young too readily, but I do think that in some subjects, where there are numerous aspects involved, and possibly far reaching consequences to be considered, one needs to have lived quite a long time and experienced a fair bit of life before trying to come to final conclusions about what is best; and even then one can sometimes end up being seen to have got it wrong. :oops:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:55 pm

I'm afraid that just reads like a long-winded way of saying "I'll carry on as I am, I have no need to conform to modern practices, I'm older, you see".

I remember being harangued by an older colleague when I first started work in the Westland planning office as a fresh young graduate. He was keen to put me in my place and ensure I wasn't too big-headed about my formal education having taken longer than his.

Him: got a degree, have you?
Me: er, yes.
Him: well I've got a degree too, see.
Me: Oh really?
Him: Yes, only mine's a degree from the University of Life!! <chortle chortle, smug expression>
Me: Oh, ha ha, very good!

It doesn't sound any less stupid in retrospect than it did then. Being old(er) is not an excuse for being an oaf, whatever the circumstances. I'm not as old as you, Dave, but I'm still trying to retain an open mind. I may be uncomfortable with things, but that doesn't necessarily make me right, and them wrong.
Nick

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:24 pm

I don't think those comments bear any useful relationship to my position, and I'm surprised that you see the situation in that way.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:35 pm

TripleS wrote:Anyhow, you remind me of a comment made by an elderly relative of mine some years ago when listening to some young people sounding off on a certain topic: "Aye, they can talk alright, but their problem is that they haven't lived long enough!"

I do not wish to dismiss the views of the young too readily, but I do think that in some subjects, where there are numerous aspects involved, and possibly far reaching consequences to be considered, one needs to have lived quite a long time and experienced a fair bit of life before trying to come to final conclusions about what is best; and even then one can sometimes end up being seen to have got it wrong. :oops:

I doubt if I'm alone. Re-read the above and see if it doesn't say (in very arcane wording):

"I'm older than you, I know more than you, therefore I know better. You're wrong to be offended because you don't know as much as me".

That's what it says to me.

I don't dispute that you were brought up at a different time, when different norms pertained, but I don't see that as an excuse to ignore the sensibilities of others, just because they're younger. Insanity1234 has demonstrated maturity beyond his years many times, he deserves to have his views treated with respect. That doesn't mean we can't have a giggle within the bounds of (dubious) taste, but if he says he's offended, we should believe him.

This is by no means diminishing your right to hold your own opinions. Just pointing out how your prose reads.

(in your own words) Best Wishes.
Nick

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:11 pm

My apologies, for coming across as lecturing you.

I merely wished to offer a warning that perhaps your joke was bordering on the verge of being offensive.

But then, people can take it however they wish.

Just to clarify, I was not offended by it, but I just wanted to give a gentle reminder, as this is a thread in the public section of the website, and there is a possibility of a transgender person coming and reading through the thread and then getting upset by your 'joke'.

Anyway, I best shut up, clearly I'm too, as certain people have suggested, too young and immature to hold an opinion on any subject.

I'll call back in in about 60 years, I'll probably be old enough to have an opinion. ;)

Return to “General Chat”