Tuning boxes

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
angus

Tuning boxes

Postby angus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Anyone here tried one of these instead of a re-map?

They claim "up to" 40% more power/torque and 20% better economy

Wyatt

Re: Tuning boxes

Postby Wyatt » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:47 pm

I fitted a TDI box to my 535d put power up from 280 to 350 hp ish. Worked like a charm. Much more torque and therefore midd range punch, and increased fuel economy marginally but that's not why I fitted it.
Confucius Say "Beyond every corner, there is another one...."

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:28 pm

The box didnt work on mine due to a locked down ECU, but the remap has done the business. Or course you get either +40% power or +20% economy but not both at the same time. I'm at the +40% mark but economy has improved by around 5% too.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:27 pm

I'll always take a good custom remap over a tuning box. A lot of the tuning boxes just fake the car into thinking it's colder than it really is. Not sure how the expensive ones work, but I can't trust anything generic. Much rather have the car set up with a custom map based on how the car works and what other modifications it might have already (which a tuning box will never know).

Revian

Postby Revian » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Any MOT emissions consequences?
Ian

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:50 pm

No, but then the emissions test was designed 15 years ago when electronic diesel control was in its infancy. Anything with a DPF is never going to fail that, no matter just how many kiddies it's topping as it drives along.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Rick448

Postby Rick448 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:50 pm

I fitted a tuning box to my M3 as they are not easily remapped at present. It's a fairly complicated box which fits to 5 different sensors. It adds about 75bhp and with the Akra exhaust takes it to 525 apparently. Either ways it's pretty rapid. Unfortunately after 3 or 4 thousand miles I was getting a drivetrain fault which disappeared when I removed the box. I may try it again in the spring to see if it was definitely that. As for economy, well it remains at between 19 and 20 mpg.

I fitted a more simple box to my brothers Insignia diesel and it just connects to the fuel rail and pumps in more fuel I think. It is a bit quicker and is the same economy wise. Though it's a bit smoky. I've previously had custom remaps and will probably get the M done if or when the ecu is cracked.

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:07 pm

angus wrote:Anyone here tried one of these instead of a re-map?

They claim "up to" 40% more power/torque and 20% better economy

My old Audi had one built-in. 40% more power in reality and 20% better economy when tested. ;)

Revian

Postby Revian » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:35 am

StressedDave wrote:No, but then the emissions test was designed 15 years ago when electronic diesel control was in its infancy. Anything with a DPF is never going to fail that, no matter just how many kiddies it's topping as it drives along.

There's my dilemma. When I can I will get out of diesel and into (a lesser devil) petrol. But there's no point in a poor used petrol car purchase.
Ian

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:47 pm

Rick448 wrote:I fitted a tuning box to my M3 as they are not easily remapped at present. It's a fairly complicated box which fits to 5 different sensors. It adds about 75bhp and with the Akra exhaust takes it to 525 apparently. Either ways it's pretty rapid. Unfortunately after 3 or 4 thousand miles I was getting a drivetrain fault which disappeared when I removed the box. I may try it again in the spring to see if it was definitely that. As for economy, well it remains at between 19 and 20 mpg.

I fitted a more simple box to my brothers Insignia diesel and it just connects to the fuel rail and pumps in more fuel I think. It is a bit quicker and is the same economy wise. Though it's a bit smoky. I've previously had custom remaps and will probably get the M done if or when the ecu is cracked.

Thanks for backing up my inherent mistrust of tuning boxes. I would hate to fit anything that leads to a fault, and is sorted by removing. I've never had anything like that with mapping. 8-)

Return to “General Chat”