Tuning boxes

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Playtent

Re: Tuning boxes

Postby Playtent » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:12 pm

I had a tuning box by DTUK and I imagine it's similar to Ricks M3 where the ecu is locked. It connected to numerous places around the engine bay and did make a noticeable difference up to 355 on modest settings. You can set it higher but risk faults if you push it.
Keep them on modest settings and you should have no issues.

Cheers

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:50 am

A friend who has been involved in ECU design for one of the major manufacturers suggests that diesels are generally pretty finely tuned by the OEMs and chipping boxes are a good way to knacker the engine. Petrols typically have much bigger margins.

YMMV.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:25 am

jont- wrote:A friend who has been involved in ECU design for one of the major manufacturers suggests that diesels are generally pretty finely tuned by the OEMs and chipping boxes are a good way to knacker the engine. Petrols typically have much bigger margins.

YMMV.

not sure about modern ones, but when I had the 1997 RR with the sluggish 2.5 DT engine, it didn't take much work for JE Engineering to give it 50% more horsepower - transformed its performance and economy! That was new intercooler and chip though... Certainly then the RR engine was tuned to cope with Arctic or Sahara, so tuning it to the UK temperature ranges was far more efficient...

Alasdair

CautiousD

Postby CautiousD » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:52 pm

I bought a Superchips bluefin for my car about 3 years ago and the difference is night and day. It's a programme installation, so not a plug in that's left in the car. Might be worth checking if they wrote one for your car.

angus

Postby angus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:47 pm

OK, it's fitted - a box from TDI Tuning who had a couple of recommendations, plus they're relatively local and would fit for free. The box has 7 settings to give a bias toward either power or economy and it's on the middle setting.

First thoughts: It doesn't feel much more powerful. Perhaps the before and after service feeling, but coming up the A12 in conditions where I'd expect 60mpg, I got nearly 70.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:38 pm

The eco gauge typically lies after fitting because the fuelling is being changed after the ECU... Mine was done by the same firm and the difference is palpable. But then mine was grossly underpowered before :lol:
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

tdcist

Postby tdcist » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:07 pm

I had a tuning box in my early days, for the cost, id just splash that bit extra on a proper remap, I know devonutopia shares my opinions!
My Tuning Box caused early failure of my High pressure Fuel Pump, That was an expensive day! Hence why the new car was bought!
TDCiST - Dave - Ford Focus 1.6TDCi Zetec S
ROSPA Training Started: September 2014 | Advanced Test: 19/02/15 | ROSPA Grade: Gold! | RoSPA Observer Training - Started!

Return to “General Chat”