Streaming TV

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
jont-

Re: Streaming TV

Postby jont- » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:32 pm

Ethernet over power is a good alternative to wifi.

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:45 pm

ahh yes - cable, I suppose in effect it is the equivalent of proprietary internet / broadband...

worth checking what normal broadband you can get (we get c. 60-70mb in the village here) as that can be the cheapest option now, as it is so consumer focused... even if you have an initial cost of sorting out the phone line, you will be saving money within a year... If all you are wanting is normal TV and sky sports - ditch virgin media and buy the nowTV box, you can pull in normal TV through your aerial and freeview, and sky sports through the nowTV box: http://www.nowtv.com/sports

Alasdair

Playtent

Postby Playtent » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:47 pm

Nick,

Fire TV stick gives you all the catchup stuff such as iplayer, itvplayer etc.
Then adding Kodi gives you catchup on any TVs series ever and movies.

The cost is £35 to buy (unless there's a deal) and £0 a month other than the added cost of having an Internet connection.

It's wireless only so no need to run any cables.

You have no need to record anything unless you watch some obscure one off program then you may still need to record it unless it's on BBC etc then you can use catchup.

I had the same as you and I downgraded the TV package to freeview only and swapped my internet to a deal. I now pay £20 a month.

I'll have a spare one when I get home and can post it down if you want and you can have a go?

Cheers
Last edited by Playtent on Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:55 pm

Can I just pick that apart, Paul? £20 a month for what? Broadband only / BB+phone / some other combination?

So assuming I wanted to keep my Sky Sports, I'd need BB + phone + Sky Sports which =~ £55 / month (assuming £25 for the SS, £10 for line rental, £20 for BB)

And yes, it'd be great to have a play, thanks. PM me.
Nick

Playtent

Postby Playtent » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:24 pm

Nick,

There is no ongoing cost associated with the Amazon Fire tv. All you need is broadband for it to work of a min of 2mb.

I pay £20 a month for broadband and phone.

Cheers

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:34 pm

but... is there any point in using Amazon Fire Stick when Sky sports is wanted? As far as I am aware only nowTV offers SkySport - allowing you to get rid of the sky box and all the other gubbins / viging media box and cable...

Alasdair

martine

Postby martine » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:38 pm

BT TV box does it as well...I've used it quite a few times - most recently to record the Wales v Fiji rugby - I was actually in the stadium and rather sadly, decided to record it as well :roll:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

gannet

Postby gannet » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:47 pm

akirk wrote:but... is there any point in using Amazon Fire Stick when Sky sports is wanted? As far as I am aware only nowTV offers SkySport - allowing you to get rid of the sky box and all the other gubbins / viging media box and cable...

Alasdair

quite expensive to get the sky sports package through nowTV though ? £32 a month...

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:56 pm

oh yes, expensive, but I think reading above it was one of the desired things...

personally I would rather go and play sport than what teams losing ;) esp. Scotland v Australia :D

A

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:12 pm

I don't like cricket ... I love it. It's only on Sky :( Currently I'm paying for the HD package as well, which I would probably drop - my TV is only 32" (and management aren't keen on a bigger one) so the difference is pretty minimal.
Nick

Return to “General Chat”