These shoes are made for walking

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Another Bill

These shoes are made for walking

Postby Another Bill » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:03 pm

Just wondering if anybody else has noticed a curious trend in shoes and trainers, of the kind aimed at “trail walking”. Various shoes of that category have been my goto all-purpose favourites for quite some years, since I no longer need to look smart.

But I’ve had huge problems recently, finding a pair of such shoes, that are also comfortable for driving. Was never a problem for me before. I’ve the suspicion it may be a fashion trend for protruding heels, that raise my foot too high for the pedals, occasionally even snagging my toes against the bulkhead, which becomes unsafe.

Not looking for specific recommendations as I have finally found a pair that work, just wondering if anybody else had faced the same problem?

jont-

Re: These shoes are made for walking

Postby jont- » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:41 pm

Not really. I've used Merell barefoot shoes for a while, and discovered their trail shoes add a useful bit of padding without really detracting from driving feel.

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:49 am

I have just about worn out a second pair of Merrells, bought in Decathlon, which have been fine. I will be mightily disappointed if I can’t buy a third pair soon.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:02 am

Two votes for Merrells then. I know I said I was no longer looking, but might try some on anyway next time an opportunity pops up.

It was a recent pair of Karrimors, that frustrated me the most. Definitely the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever had for walking, but quite impossible for driving. I wore them out anyway, then when time came to replace them I tried Salomons which I’d had often before, but found the current designs also no good for driving.

To be clear I’m talking ‘shoes’, not ‘boots’ by the way so doesn’t seem an unreasonable expectation.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:21 am

Interesting post. My wife, who has no interest in driving/riding always comments when I drive in my walking boots. She doesn't understand how I can feel the pedals through the rugged soles.

I've never had any problem, though it is true you can't really feel the pedals, but you CAN feel what they do.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:10 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:She doesn't understand how I can feel the pedals through the rugged soles.

Maybe point out that the police seem to manage, given they must wear chunky shoes and still be able to drive to a high standard.

FWIW sometimes I used to drive in walking boots, didn't seem unreasonable as they were securely attached to my feet.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:02 am

Gareth wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:She doesn't understand how I can feel the pedals through the rugged soles.

Maybe point out that the police seem to manage, given they must wear chunky shoes and still be able to drive to a high standard.

FWIW sometimes I used to drive in walking boots, didn't seem unreasonable as they were securely attached to my feet.

When on CFR calls, I'm wearing steely work boots.

I think a lot depends on ankle flexibility, big clompy motorcycle boots* can pass that limit.

* I never used lighter 'racing' boots
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:02 pm

Gareth wrote:

I remember attending a local IAM group one evening for a talk given by the head of Sussex Police driving school. During the talk it was an amusing moment when (IIRC) an audience member asked about appropriate footwear for driving. The response was, "Don't they say not to drive in boots?". At which point he put his foot up onto the table to show uniform tactical boots. Hardly surprising since that is their normal work attire.

IMO, so long as you are in full control of the vehicle and your footwear is not constantly clobbering the wrong pedal then I don't see any problem - outputs, not inputs.

I have my own preferences based on what I am driving - as usual, it depends.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:01 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Interesting post. My wife, who has no interest in driving/riding always comments when I drive in my walking boots. She doesn't understand how I can feel the pedals through the rugged soles.

I've never had any problem, though it is true you can't really feel the pedals, but you CAN feel what they do.

I have to agree. Those who know me have seen me drive in all kinds of footwear. I have no problem. I don't use the sole of my feet to sense what I do. It is the flexation of my ankle and what effect it has on the car that informs me.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:01 pm

The problems I’ve been having aren’t about ‘feel’, it’s more about feet getting wedged, for example, when I try to lift off the brake pedal. The heel digs into the carpet, and/or the toe snags on the lower dash trim. Many shoes now seem to have a rather exaggerated pointy protruding heel moulded into the sole and I suspect that to be cause of both problems. It might not matter if you’ve smaller feet, I generally buy size 10 or 11s.

I’ve not changed my car, or my shoe size, for many years, and the problems only arise with currently on sale trainers/walking shoes. My older trainers are fine, as are formal shoes, casual slip-ons etc.

Return to “General Chat”