Lighting...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
M1ke H

Re: Lighting...

Postby M1ke H » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:50 am

And digressing slightly, can anyone explain to me what a reeducation course is please? I've seen reference to this in the last couple of days for some DCA and similar incidents. Presumably similar to a speed awareness course but with different (exactly what?) emphasis?

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:23 am

M1ke H wrote:And digressing slightly, can anyone explain to me what a reeducation course is please? I've seen reference to this in the last couple of days for some DCA and similar incidents. Presumably similar to a speed awareness course but with different (exactly what?) emphasis?

I guess I see speed awareness course as reeducation too, but ISTR (at least pre-covid) there were circumstances you could be offered courses instead of DWDCA etc. I have vague memories of martine having peripheral involvment in some of this.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:50 pm

Another Bill wrote: drove out in front of a Volvo after it flashed its lights, which, to most people means, “Please drive out”. Only it hadn’t flashed it lights, it had merely rolled over a big pothole, causing the beam to fluctuate.

I recently saw a speed bump placed strategically to achieve that on the main road, just up from a side turning ...

Another Bill wrote: Only it hadn’t flashed it lights, it had merely rolled over a big pothole, causing the beam to fluctuate. The Volvo driver was in fact completely inattentive.

But your mate was blameless even though he didn't know or acknowledge the actual meaning and didn't check for anything like the Volvo slowing as well?

It only takes 3-4 seconds to clear a lane, so how close was the Volvo? Your mate is very trusting ...
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:54 pm

In days of old you might have been prompted to turn on the lights because you couldn’t see the instruments. Now cars are driven with the instruments illuminated all the time and with enough light from the DRLs that the oblivious driver never thinks to turn on the headlights. As a result we encounter vehicles being driven in the dark with no rear illumination.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:08 pm

Jonquirk wrote:In days of old you might have been prompted to turn on the lights because you couldn’t see the instruments. Now cars are driven with the instruments illuminated all the time and with enough light from the DRLs that the oblivious driver never thinks to turn on the headlights. As a result we encounter vehicles being driven in the dark with no rear illumination.

Many new cars, mine included, now have the rear lights illuminated all the time. You can't turn them off.

My other gripe with my modern lighting is the useless glow worm of a reversing light. Yes, singular. What is the point of it if it doesn't create enough light behind or to the side to see (especially the kerb!)?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:03 pm

Horse wrote:But your mate was blameless even though he didn't know or acknowledge the actual meaning and didn't check for anything like the Volvo slowing as well?

It only takes 3-4 seconds to clear a lane, so how close was the Volvo? Your mate is very trusting ...

Didn’t mean to suggest my mate was blameless.

Nor even that the Volvo driver’s lack of attention was any defence, even if I like to fantasise that I’d have done any better. :)

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:30 pm

Another Bill wrote:Didn’t mean to suggest my mate was blameless.

Fairynuff

Another Bill wrote:... the Volvo driver’s lack of attention

I'm not sure that's the case. Like I said, if the Volvo was more than 3 seconds away, your mate could have cleared its path. 4 if your mate dawdled.

Most drivers wouldn't be expecting someone to pull out when they're that close.

Another Bill wrote:even if I like to fantasise that I’d have done any better. :)

And do what?

Actually, the preparation starts much further back.

As soon as you see potential for a driver to encroach, you need to be taking precautionary actions and preparing for escape/evade actions. Unless you have those e/e actions mentally prepared, then you won't stand any chance of putting them into practice. Instead, you'll continue on towards the impending crash. Stomping on the brakes won't always be the best option. Depending on how close you are when the other vehicle emerges, acceleration could be best.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:22 pm

Ref what the Volvo driver might have done…

Speaking just for myself, there are times when a sixth sense seems to kick in, such as when a driver suddenly pulls across in front of other traffic to exit a roundabout. I might then mention to passengers that “I just knew he was going to do that”.

I suspect it’s not really a sixth sense, more likely just a subconscious awareness of, say, the other driver’s focus of vision. Or maybe a slight change in his grip on the steering wheel, etc etc, there are many possibilities. I theorise that if I were perfect, I’d always pick up on any such clues and therefor always have the capacity to make up for other peoples’ errors. I suspect reality is that I’m far from perfect…

I’ve only had one major collision in my life. Approaching a left hand bend on a 50mph limited single carriageway A-road an oncoming vehicle came into view, fast moving and obviously out of control, sliding sideways towards my nearside verge. On that occasion I did settle for stomping on the brakes as I thought he was headed for the field, but he bounced off the kerb and I hit him hard, getting to experience the miracle of airbags. Nobody badly hurt, but both vehicles spectacularly written off. Other driver was judged by police and insurers to be 100% at fault, but I’ve often wondered, should I have assessed things more quickly and swerved around instead of just braking (with risk of hitting some other vehicle)? I’ll never know.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:25 pm

Very unusual crashes are extremely rare. Most fit into a very limited set of options.

For motorcyclists, there are three main types:
- 'SMIDSY' at junctions
- Running out of talent, usually cornering
- Overtaking (with filtering as a 3B)

Then throw in a few instances of poor braking or sliding off on ice, mud or diesel. Or daft stuff like other drivers trimming corners.

On that basis, although spidey, sixth, sense is always useful, crash scenarios are usually predictable so preventable.

Just because someone else intends to have a crash, doesn't mean it's mandatory to join in.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:30 am

On a more positive note re lighting, I do get the impression that misuse of rear fog lights, ie lit when they shouldn’t be lit, is on the decline vs 20 years ago?

I wonder if that might be an upside of automatic lights, assuming that it never, ever turns on the fogs. Which in my estimation, is about the optimum frequency of use.

Return to “General Chat”