The Silence

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
jont-

Re: The Silence

Postby jont- » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:59 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I was thinking of something in parallel rather than a replacement. Maybe Facebook could act as a conduit to find us more members. You can link a website from the description of a group, or the Intro section of a page.

Parallel discussion seems a very good way of reducing critical mass even further.

Isn't FB old hat now anyway, it should be insta/tiktok if you want to attract youngsters?

There's also already PH which is probably easier for most folk to find.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:06 pm

jont- wrote:Parallel discussion seems a very good way of reducing critical mass even further.

It's also two places to look for new content instead of only one.

As alluded, perhaps the reason that there is not much discussion is that apart from changes to the motoring environment and vehicle technology, "advanced driving" as a subject has not really changed much since the first edition of Roadcraft. When all of the participants are old lags who been practicing it for years or decades then what is there to say?

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:01 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
jont- wrote:Parallel "advanced driving" as a subject has not really changed much since the first edition of Roadcraft.

Well, acksherley, it has.

Here's one example: the very first edition was 'Road Craft' :)

I have a fair collection (see below, plus a coulle more) dating back to the 1950s (although only a couple of versions of the 1995 bloated edition onwards).

An actual 'content' example:
'Cornering lines' has been covered differently over the years. Originally only IIRC position for view. By about 1980 it gained swoopy lines diagrams, which became of lesser importance in '95 onwards.

But a lot of what I've learned has been verbal. The book doesn't always reflect/replicate the coaching. Then, however much the various police driving schools might co-ordinate, I'm sure there will be variations - and details will change and evolve.

Large image, so you van read the text:

https://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/2008 ... g.html?m=0

You can see which ones I used - well-worn & page markers!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:58 am

Nice collection. I have similar but different bookshelf full.

I haven't got/seen "Not the blue book". Is it worth a read?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:21 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Nice collection. I have similar but different bookshelf full.

I haven't got/seen "Not the blue book". Is it worth a read?

TBH I can't remember :D it's been years since I looked at it!

I did have a few spare copies of 'Assessment of ... '. I'll let you know if I do.

Author of both was Hampshire traffic, Bournemouth area IIRC. I think he was old skool blue book (the book title imllies it ;) ) - and very much against teaching countersteering (something like "if you need to do it, you have got it badly wrong").

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:23 pm

Totally unintentional layout:

Left to right, good to not so!

RiK

Postby RiK » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:37 am

akirk wrote:I think that a part of the problem is that there is a general decrease in an interest in driving let alone advanced driving…

Indeed. Since covid, numbers have dropped off a cliff.. I teach the quarterly intro seminars for our group, and pre-covid it wasn't unusual to have 25-30 new associates attending those per quarter. Now, we're lucky to see double figures..

It's not just AD though, it's the same all over. I'm also on the committee for the Royal Photographic Society, and even our group, who actually meet at the RPS HQ in Bristol has seen interest in group activities and physical meetings drop off a cliff in the past couple of years.

Regardless of the general decline in interest in driving, there's definitely a huge step-change in general attendance at clubs and societies since the pandemic.
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:58 pm

RiK wrote:
akirk wrote:I think that a part of the problem is that there is a general decrease in an interest in driving let alone advanced driving…

Regardless of the general decline in interest in driving, there's definitely a huge step-change in general attendance at clubs and societies since the pandemic.

Although there is a massive amount of material on YouTube now. I have no idea* of their reach, but numbers of views for some are phenomenal.

* but as for their quality ... hmmm ...

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:49 pm

RiK has it right: I belong to two opera groups (don't ask) and both have shrunk alarmingly (both performers and audience) in the sad sad days since COVID. There still a lot of people still hiding under the blankets.

I am an old bloke having turned 80 this year, but I am determined to keep going, and driving to a realistic standard.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:05 pm

Triquet wrote:It has gone so quiet, I was wondering where everybody was?

So I will take this opoortunity to wish everybody a Festive Christmas and Jolly New Year ..... :car:

Wot?

Return to “General Chat”