The Silence

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Triquet

The Silence

Postby Triquet » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:08 am

It has gone so quiet, I was wondering where everybody was?

So I will take this opoortunity to wish everybody a Festive Christmas and Jolly New Year ..... :car:

RiK

Re: The Silence

Postby RiK » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:01 am

Triquet wrote:So I will take this opoortunity to wish everybody a Festive Christmas and Jolly New Year ..... :car:

We've barely started November!!!! :bash:
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:59 am

I thought I'd better get the festive greetings out early in case we only had second-class internet ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:22 pm

We have our first Christmas party in10 days.

To be fair, it's a Christmas themed murder mystery and one of the people attending is a 'santa', so tends to get busy soon!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:14 pm

Yes - I only check for new posts perhaps once per week...where 2/3 years ago I used to check several times a day. I reckon there are only a few regulars here these days...sad isn't it?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:54 pm

It's hard to get traction/engagement if it isn't "in your face", reckless, or over the top in some way.

Also, sadly, forums/bulletin boards are seen as 'old school' by many.

There's actually been a few interesting debates/discussions on IAM Facebook recently, but it is so poorly threaded it soon becomes an unfollowable mess.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:47 am

I think that a part of the problem is that there is a general decrease in an interest in driving let alone advanced driving… where are the younger folk coming into the discussion? There is an assumption by some that cars will do it all for you now / soon so why do we need to bother?

And for those who have a long standing interest there is perhaps a feeling that the discussion has already taken place - what is new to discuss?

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:30 am

Maybe we should have a Facebook group ..... (shock, horror, curses about personal data etc.)
Nick

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:03 am

The biggest issue with facebook is that it controls how you see content - it is difficult to find past conversations and to structure how content is saved... It is very good for fresh current content which rapidly goes out of date, and it is very good at photo / video uploads, but otherwise it is a poor alternative to a forum.

If the photo / video uploads is an issue (not sure it is as video is more often used on here than photos and it makes sense to embed from youtube), then we can look at anything from allowing uploads to the server to new and easier forum software such as Xenforo (historically the site has sat on a work server of mine with finite disk space, but we are moving all hosting over to virtualised hosting so in theory that will no longer be an issue when we make that move)...

happy to do what others think is helpful

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:41 pm

I was thinking of something in parallel rather than a replacement. Maybe Facebook could act as a conduit to find us more members. You can link a website from the description of a group, or the Intro section of a page.
Nick

Return to “General Chat”