20mph alternatives

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Another Bill

Re: 20mph alternatives

Postby Another Bill » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:56 pm

Interesting to hear words of support for Community speed watch, I can certainly suggest it, and would probably even volunteer for duty. There might be a danger that, at County (political) level, a speed watch effort was taken to imply support for lower speed limits.

We don’t have a SID. I can suggest it but we do already have a permanent illuminated automatic ‘30’ reminder, just within the 30 signs. Trouble with that particular specimen is, if you are ‘taking fair advantage’ of the NSL approaching the 30 signs then, even though you slow to 30 a good way before the 30 signs, the reminder still lights up. All stick and no carrot, if that’s the right metaphor, but I doubt anybody in control will take an interest in recalibrating it.

I have the data from a 2018 speed survey that showed 85th percentile speeds in the mid to high 30s most of the day, over 40s early morning and late evening. Not sure whether the (then) parish council missed an opportunity to use that data to ask police to consider prioritising us for enforcement visits, or even to ask council for a fixed camera. I think another survey is planned, will watch that one more closely.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:26 pm

Another Bill wrote:I have the data from a 2018 speed survey that showed 85th percentile speeds in the mid to high 30s most of the day, over 40s early morning and late evening. Not sure whether the (then) parish council missed an opportunity to use that data to ask police to consider prioritising us for enforcement visits, or even to ask council for a fixed camera. I think another survey is planned, will watch that one more closely.

I hope the speed survey wasn't from a sensor mis-reading vehicles still in a higher limit :roll:

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:53 pm

There is a village near to me that has a 40 limit. In the southbound direction the road is an NSL that lends itself to more. The reduction to 40 is clearly signed and visible well beforehand so only light braking is usually needed to comply. Shortly before the limit terminal signs there is a SID visible about 2 or 3 hundred yards further on. It picks you up pretty much as soon as you can see it and it does encourage going through "on the numbers". After the SID, just around the next corner, is the location where the speedwatch people will usually be seen and I am not confident that they catch that many. They will get some, naturally, because there will always be idiots who cannot see clearly marked limit signs, a SID and people in Hi-Vis with a gun.

My point here is that when the limit is appropriate, clearly signed and reminders are done sensitively and well there is no need for draconian reductions. One of the things that really pisses me off is a SID that shouts at me "30" ... "SLOW DOWN" when I am already doing an indicated 30 or often less.

ETA: for those that want to see.
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9747453,-0.2796132,3a,75y,187.89h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sm6B6jkXNS194NK32vD99IQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:01 pm

There’s a roundabout I can think of, where approach limit descends from NSL to 40 and then to 30. Both the 40 and the 30 transitions actually appear to me as over-cautious but what the heck, there’s a roundabout ahead, you’ll have to slow down at some point.

Slowing for the 40 almost invariably results in following traffic closing the gap, and often bobbing around towards the centre line in an intimidating fashion.

A few yards further, slowing for the 30, same following traffic tends to calm down a bit and accept that you are going to observe the limit. Difference is, there’s a SID just inside the 30.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:18 am

Many thanks for all suggestions.

Scepticism expressed earlier in thread may have been justified. The offer to meet with interested parties, forming parish policy, seems to have been withdrawn without hearing a word I have to say (other than stating opposition).

I can of course still drop them an email and attend and address the forthcoming meeting of Parish Council, but they’ve already made it known that they are “minded to request a 20mph limit”. And here in Oxfordshire, currently elected left-of-centre coalition are unlikely to refuse, as long as Parish Council are in support.

FWIW I also wrote to my MP some months ago, suggesting it might be time to review the underlying legislation that permits local authorities to set arbitrary speed limits. Response was not particularly encouraging then a few weeks later, PM was being criticised in The Guardian for rumours of supporting that very policy.

angus

Postby angus » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:38 am

jont- wrote:And no ignoring your friend/neighbour because they can't be that bad, can they? :roll: I'd put good money on it mostly being the locals whinging about the problem who are the main contributors to it.

Indeed. You don't come through our village to get somewhere else. All traffic is either residents or visitors

angus

Postby angus » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:46 am

Another Bill wrote:FWIW I also wrote to my MP some months ago, suggesting it might be time to review the underlying legislation that permits local authorities to set arbitrary speed limits. Response was not particularly encouraging then a few weeks later, PM was being criticised in The Guardian for rumours of supporting that very policy.

If you're going to write to an MP, try Steve Baker. From his gov.uk profile: "Steve is married and his hobbies include skydiving and motorcycling. He is also a keen advanced driver, a fast catamaran sailor and occasional photographer."

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:43 pm

FWIW parliamentary etiquette is that you will only get a reply from your own MP. To involve another MP, you have to ask your MP to contact them.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:40 pm

Horse wrote:FWIW parliamentary etiquette is that you will only get a reply from your own MP. To involve another MP, you have to ask your MP to contact them.

Indeed, and same goes for getting the attention of a govt Minister. You are much more likely to get a reply from a Cabinet Minister if you channel your concern through your MP, asking that he/she raises it with said Minister.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:06 pm

An AD acquaintance of mine was being driven by a fellow villager to a speed watch training course, some 30-40 minutes away. Blew through the villages on the way well above the speed limit.

Return to “General Chat”