20mph alternatives

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Another Bill

20mph alternatives

Postby Another Bill » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:24 am

I’ve been invited to contribute to plans for a 20mph limit through the village, replacing our unlit 30 limit. These plans are being made up by parish and county councillors with no apparent input from professional traffic engineers - if so then that’s wrong, but we are where we are. Any inspiration for discussions on my part, would be welcomed.

Specific ‘problems’ being addressed seem to include…
    Speeds thar are frighteningly dangerous for a residential village, I’d estimate 60mph is not unusual.
    Near-misses with speeding traffic, at a junction abutting the main road, which has restricted visibility.
    Dangerous overtakes, of vehicles driving at existing limit.
    Noise polution.
    Envy of neighbouring villages that display 20mph signs, regardless of whether they are effective.

My view…The above problems are all caused by speeding traffic, that ignores the 30 limit. Same drivers will ignore a 20 limit and so problems will remain the same, even though average speeds are reduced.

Possible alternative solutions I’ve like to contribute to the melting pot are:
    Restore/enhance existing 30mph signage, largely buried in hedges.
    Restore/enhance existing road markings, we’ve hazard lines, dragons’ teeth and speed limit reminders, all looking a bit tired.
    Any other painted solutions?
    What about “Intelligent speed assist” on new vehicles. Is it likely to help, given time?

Opinions and inspirations would be very welcome!

Don Basilio

Re: 20mph alternatives

Postby Don Basilio » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:37 am

We are a couple of months into 20mph through our village. To be fair, it is not unreasonable on the back roads, and particularly near the school, but it does seem pretty silly on the main road through the village. The 20mph lobby seems to be pretty invasive throughout Oxfordshire and there is a strong and possibly political lobby.

Most people do however seem to be adhering to the new 20mph, and there hasn't been a lot of extra overtaking.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:18 am

Sadly my only advice is don't waste your time. You're dealing with the hard of thinking and unwilling to listen. /voe.

If you really want to challenge, ask how 20mph will address any of their concerns (I'd argue it may make noise worse as folk will be in a lower gear), but you won't get anywhere.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:32 am

Don Basilio wrote:Most people do however seem to be adhering to the new 20mph, and there hasn't been a lot of extra overtaking.

That’s interesting, thanks. But by ‘adhering’, do mean <= 20mph, or maybe 25-ish? The latter is what I’ve seen some places, and seems to be seen as an acceptable goal by parish councils, despite criminalising drivers who previously obeyed 30 limits.

Quite apart from whether this applies to Don’s village, I’d especially interested to know how the ‘25 in a 20’ mindset affects drivers of new cars with ISA. Might it lead them into the habit of simply disabling ISA on every journey, thus negating all benefits? Any real world data on things like this?

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:42 am

Another Bill wrote:
That’s interesting, thanks. But by ‘adhering’, do mean <= 20mph, or maybe 25-ish? The latter is what I’ve seen some places, and seems to be seen as an acceptable goal by parish councils, despite criminalising drivers who previously obeyed 30 limits.

I'd rather see (widely advertised) zero tolerance of 30 if that is indeed the goal. Not sure why that can't be possible instead. The problem is that even if ~25mph is the goal to start with, complaints about people exceeding the 20 are then followed by enforcement :bash:

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:54 am

would it not be more effective to have chicanes and other hard landscaping to change speed - surface the road in cobbles and I guarantee that not many will be doing 60mph across them! :)

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:03 pm

akirk wrote:would it not be more effective to have chicanes and other hard landscaping to change speed - surface the road in cobbles and I guarantee that not many will be doing 60mph across them! :)

Chicanes have already been suggested, though I’m not a fan. Neighbouring villages have them and I’ve seen a few rear-end shunts over the years, that would not have happened without them. Also the noise pollution from exchange of horns by disgruntled drivers.

Cobbles - I’d not thought of that. May well suggest it!

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:08 pm

jont- wrote:
Another Bill wrote:

I'd rather see (widely advertised) zero tolerance of 30 if that is indeed the goal. Not sure why that can't be possible instead. The problem is that even if ~25mph is the goal to start with, complaints about people exceeding the 20 are then followed by enforcement :bash:

I’d actually support zero tolerance of 30s but there’s an irony… several, maybe most, of the pro-20 campaigners already seem to have been ticketed by a mobile 30 camera in our own village. These seem to be often the same individuals suggesting that 25 in a 20 would be fine.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:27 pm

Another Bill wrote:I’d actually support zero tolerance of 30s but there’s an irony… several, maybe most, of the pro-20 campaigners already seem to have been ticketed by a mobile 30 camera in our own village. These seem to be often the same individuals suggesting that 25 in a 20 would be fine.

Ah, well now you're into my pet theory that anyone demanding these limits should be forced to have a GPS tracker fitted to their car and a fine in the post for every infringement, then see whether they think it's sensible before getting to impose it on the rest of us... :soap:

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:43 pm

Don Basilio wrote:Most people do however seem to be adhering to the new 20mph, and there hasn't been a lot of extra overtaking.

https://youtube.com/shorts/RC3tN5UFUUM? ... vvpTWcr9eT
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “General Chat”