Unsigned speed limits

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Another Bill

Re: Unsigned speed limits

Postby Another Bill » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:52 pm

angus wrote:
Another Bill wrote:There’s sometimes painted road markings between the invisible signs where the limit reduces, but they are easy to miss.

What's the legality/enforcement of these? I thought they were to back up the roundels, but in themselves have no legal meaning?

Good question.

Fingers crosses this link works, you should find yourself driving into Tidmarsh from the north, streetview dated September 2021. The upright signs were even better concealed when I drove past on Monday, but it’s clearly a long standing issue.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/FkXcAtYubFCJrf7h7?g_st=ic

So even if you miss the signs and painted roundel, as far as I can see from streetview there’s a handful of streetlights with a reminder on the first and only nearside lamp, which I think is in keeping with TSRGD. And then there’s a speed camera which looks as if it’s actually beyond the last streetlight, but still just a couple hundred yards from the obscured initial signs.

Regardless of all else I suspect any camera tickets in that village above would be upheld thanks to the street lights and reminder, but I might feel a tiny smidgen of sympathy under some circumstances.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:11 pm

angus wrote:
Another Bill wrote:There’s sometimes painted road markings between the invisible signs where the limit reduces, but they are easy to miss.

What's the legality/enforcement of these? I thought they were to back up the roundels, but in themselves have no legal meaning? (I've seen instances where they conflict with roundels when the limit has been reduced but the paint hasn't been removed/updated)

Not sure that's entirely true. e.g: Ashdown Forest (Hundred Acre Wood) is a blanket 40mph limit and there are terminal signs at the various entrances/exists but no repeaters, only painted signs on the road throughout. IIRC The New Forest is the same.

It would be interesting to know for sure though.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:53 pm

Another Bill wrote:
The upright signs were even better concealed when I drove past on Monday, but it’s clearly a long standing issue.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/FkXcAtYubFCJrf7h7?g_st=ic

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

userLeft1

Postby userLeft1 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:18 pm

The road markings can't be used instead of terminal signs but could be used instead of repeaters which are no longer mandatory. Prior to the change in the regulations the DfT may well have authorised non-compliant signage for parks and forests.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... le/10/made

Return to “General Chat”