A Local Incident

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Triquet

A Local Incident

Postby Triquet » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:20 pm

When things happen locally, it makes you pause and think ....

Thames Valley Police is appealing for witnesses following a fatal road traffic collision in Marcham in which three teenagers have tragically died.
At around 12.10am this morning (20/6), a silver BMW was travelling along the A415 when it left the road and collided with a tree.
Tragically, three teenagers, two males aged 18 and one male aged 17, all from Oxfordshire, died in the collision. Their families have been notified and are being supported by specially trained officers.The driver of the vehicle, an 18-year-old man from Oxfordshire remains in hospital with life threatening injuries.

Sergeant Matt Cadmore of the Joint Roads Policing Unit at Three Mile Cross, said: “This is an extremely tragic incident which has resulted in the death of three young men.

“Our thoughts remain with their families and friends at this extremely difficult time.

“I would appeal to anyone who may have witnessed this incident or may have dash cam footage prior to the collision and who has not already spoke to Police to contact us.

“If you have any information then please call 101 or make a report online quoting incident 43230270542.”

martine

Re: A Local Incident

Postby martine » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:28 pm

Sad news.

A new driver, with friends, driving on a rural road, at night? Many get it wrong - which the DVSA are well aware of and hence many driving test routes now include rural roads - but it's not enough I guess.

What does everyone think of Graduated Driver Licencing?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:41 pm

martine wrote:What does everyone think of Graduated Driver Licencing?

I always thought it was a good idea for motorcycles until the government got involved with the process. It's now so complex it puts youngsters off 2 wheels and they just go for a car.

I guess it wouldn't do the same for cars though.

But lets think what youngsters are driving and binning. Mostly small low powered hatchbacks. So what graduation, other than performance would you go for and how would it be policed. Please don't mention black boxes as we are already on that slippery slope.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:11 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:

So what graduation, other than performance would you go for

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-licence ... resources/

One example, New Zealand.

Restrictions on carrying passengers and a driving curfew.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:39 pm

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:

That requires police on our streets.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:13 pm

I prefer more road safety education in schools to young teenagers focusing on psychological factors - dangers, peer pressure, the idea that it is cool to drive safely. Crashes happen more because of wrong attitude than poor skill - when confidence has grown more than experience justifies. I don't think limiting passengers for a year or two would change that. I note that in the recent crash where 5 young crash victims (not all dead) were not found for a couple of days they were over 21. So far as a curfew is concerned, that's tough on youngsters doing shift work, and on parents who have to continue to chauffeur their offspring longer than now.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:05 pm

waremark wrote:I prefer more road safety education in schools to young teenagers focusing on psychological factors - dangers, peer pressure, the idea that it is cool to drive safely.

And 'psychological safety' assured so that passengers feel able to speak up if uncomfortable with the driving.

We told Foal to tell the driver that he felt car sick, and ask "could you slow down? I don't want to throw up in your car."

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:07 pm

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:

https://www.racfoundation.org/media-cen ... -licensing

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 7502000877

Journal of Safety Research
Volume 34, Issue 1, 30 January 2003, Pages 99-105
Graduated driver licensing: the New Zealand experience
Author links open overlay panelDorothy Begg, Shaun Stephenson
Show more
Cite
https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4375(02)00087-7
Get rights and content
Abstract
In New Zealand, on 1 August 1987, a three-stage graduated driver licensing (GDL) system that applied to all new drivers aged 15–24 years was introduced. The essential elements of GDL were a 6-month learner license (supervised driving) and an 18-month restricted license stage (with restrictions on night driving and carrying passengers). A blood alcohol limit of 0.03 mg% applied at both stages.

Evaluation studies: Early studies indicated that young people were reasonably accepting of the restrictions, with the passenger restriction being the least acceptable. Problems of compliance with the restricted license driving restrictions were reported. Evaluations of the impact of the graduated driver licensing (GDL) on serious traffic-related injury showed that up until 1991–1992, an 8% reduction could be attributed to GDL. At this time, it was considered that reduced exposure was the main reason for this reduction. However, the number of fatalities and hospital admissions among young people continued to decline, as did the population rate and the rate per number of licensed drivers among the young driver age group. A further evaluation study showed that drivers with a restricted license had a smaller proportion of crashes at night, and with passengers, compared with drivers licensed before GDL.

Impact of GDL: These results suggested that GDL restrictions had contributed to the reduction in crashes among young people and that it was not simply a case of reduced exposure to risk. An update of the most recent crash statistics indicated that, compared with older age groups, the fatal and serious injury crash rate among young people has remained substantially below the pre-GDL level. This suggests that the impact of GDL has not diminished over time.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:15 pm

NB see slide 4

https://www.cieca.eu/sites/default/file ... xcZgMDi2y4

Hang on. Linky no worky ... :(

Google
Helman "Hazard perception training: does it need to be complicated?"

Chart shows how, for all ages, crash risk reduces with on-road experience.

GDL restricts younger (newer?) drivers from risk raisers.

Also of note is that brain development (frontal cortex, e.g. risk taking) is often not complete until early/mid-twenties.

Aside: similar to younger kids, who simply can't accurately judge speed and distance of approaching vehicles.

In both cases, you could teach as much as you like but, in the immortal words of the bloke at Buggleskelly station: "You're wasting your time ".

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:20 pm

waremark wrote:I note that in the recent crash where 5 young crash victims (not all dead) were not found for a couple of days

Off left at the start of a slightly sweeping right to a roundabout, limit had been 50 but changed to 30 at the start of the bend. Late at night. Deep into foliage, out of sight. No obvious signs of braking. Not where they could be seen from the road, not where people would normally be walking.

What warning would you give in schools that isn't already obvious - not great to drive when very tired, nor to be going much too quick for the situation.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Return to “General Chat”