IAM members assessment

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Another Bill

Re: IAM members assessment

Postby Another Bill » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:29 am

Another Bill wrote:But so far, without exception, has fallen on deaf ears. :(

Apols for quoting myself. But in relation to all I’ve said in this thread, does anybody see the irony?

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:36 am

Another Bill wrote:The harder bit is, when I talk to newly qualified young drivers who’ve spent a small fortune getting their licence, I now start harping on, why not a few £ more on IAM? A great time to do it, I say. But so far, without exception, has fallen on deaf ears. :(

What benefits can it offer for them? They have a newly-minted licence, what more do they need (or could they want)?

Another H war story, sorry :D

I used to run a post-test rider training centre based at a BMW dealership.

One Saturday morning, a youngish chap was in, just ordered a new bike. He'd just passed his L test.

The subject of extra training came up. "I've just done a five day course, what else is there to learn?"

Salesman grinned at me, gave me a key for a demo bike, we went off to the car park for half an hour. Came back, he booked a course.

So, unfortunately, in that case, he had to actually experience that there was far more to learn* before being convinced.

* And highlights a belief of mine, that any elements of post-test training that can be shown to be beneficial for safety should be made available to all via their L training. What I did (machine control) with the new rider was based on content I'd learned from US learner training, absent from UK training.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:18 am

I’m probably guilty myself of selective deafness in relation to any mention of bikes.

I’ve huge respect for the biker community but I’ve only ever once tried to ride one…

I’d just turned 17, and had began my (4 wheel) course with BSM. One of the other kids at school turned up with a moped and ‘L’ plates, and offered to let some of us have a go.

I reasoned that I was pretty nifty on my bicycle and was making some progress with car driving, this would be easy. After a 10 second briefing from the owner I jumped aboard, twisted the handlebars in the order I’d been instructed and away I went. How wrong I was. I didn’t hit anything, and sustained no injury to self or machine when I almost immediately fell off, but really rather scared myself and have never dared try 2 wheels again.

That’s my loss, I know. And before anybody offers… no thanks, at age I am now, I don’t want to have another go. :)

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:59 am

Another Bill wrote:
After a 10 second briefing from the owner I jumped aboard, twisted the handlebars in the order I’d been instructed and away I went.

8 of those 10 should have been on 'how to stop' ;)

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:39 am

Horse wrote:
Another Bill wrote:One Saturday morning, a youngish chap was in, just ordered a new bike. He'd just passed his L test.

The subject of extra training came up. "I've just done a five day course, what else is there to learn?"

Look out... Donald incoming...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiPe1OiKQuk

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:03 pm

Horse wrote:
Another Bill wrote:
After a 10 second briefing from the owner I jumped aboard, twisted the handlebars in the order I’d been instructed and away I went.

8 of those 10 should have been on 'how to stop' ;)

Bill, previously?

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:37 pm

Horse wrote:Bill, previously?

Pretty much as I remember it. :D

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:31 pm

Horse wrote:It does confuse and concern me when I hear tales of riders going through observed runs, cross-checks, but then fail - and list of things that were apparently different to what they'd been taught.

My limited experience has been that drivers don't always do what they've learned to do, even when they think they are doing do. I often feel that you can ... oops, must find a different metaphor!
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:46 pm

Gareth wrote:
Horse wrote:It does confuse and concern me when I hear tales of riders going through observed runs, cross-checks, but then fail - and list of things that were apparently different to what they'd been taught.

My limited experience has been that drivers don't always do what they've learned to do, even when they think they are doing do. I often feel that you can ... oops, must find a different metaphor!

You're probably correct. However, there have been instances where it wasn't just what they did on test. They stated that they were doing what they had been taught - but the examiner disagreed.

I've seen it from the other side though, with people riding like an OAP* without a bike licence when I know that's not how they would usually ride.

* terminology may vary once I become one ;)

SeanP

Postby SeanP » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:31 pm

Another Bill wrote:Happy to consider RoSPA. Would a certain amount of training be encouraged/demanded, or could I just take the test?

I’m aware of the benefits of training and observed drives, before a formal test. But part of me just wants to know whether I still make the grade just as I am, five years on from the initial test, without any specific coaching. A f1rst, or a good RoSPA grade would be absolutely fantastic of course but that’s not my core aim - I’m more interested to confirm/deny my current day-today driving standard.

Per the three year retest, hmm, not so sure. If I were younger with a lifetime of daily commutes ahead of me, I’d see it as a huge plus. But I’ve reached an age where it’s hard to predict what I’ll be doing or thinking in three years, or six, or nine, and a but reluctant to commit long term, if that makes sense.

If you're still a member of a local group, I'm sure they'd be willong to undertake an assessment free - that's at least part of what the local groups are all about... Not just to train up initially but to help maintain skills... From that assessment (which could be carried out as e.g. Check drive performed prior to test for initial associates), then take a view whether you think you'd still want to pay for a test afterwards.

I maintain membership to both IAM and RoSPA and observe for both - the latter precisely because of the 3 yearly retest to keep us on our toes... (Observers in both groups require regular checks anyhow!)

Return to “General Chat”