Dissertation survey

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Strangely Brown

Re: Dissertation survey

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:17 am

It really should be as simple as closing the newly created L1 permanently and calling it the hard shoulder. Separate that lane/shoulder from the main carriageway by repainting the line to be solid instead of dotted. Leave the red "X" in the gantry, change some signs and let everyone know via a "Sorry, we screwed up, as you were" information campaign.

What could possibly go wrong.

ETA: I think they would get far more respect from the public if they were to admit and own the error than they are by keeping on with the bull and bluster and endless promises. But hey, maybe that's just my view of the world.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:05 pm

ETA: I think they would get far more respect from the public if they were to admit and own the error .

Any admission - even a hint - might be seen as laying themselves open to massive law suits.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:31 pm

Horse wrote:

ETA: I think they would get far more respect from the public if they were to admit and own the error .

Any admission - even a hint - might be seen as laying themselves open to massive law suits.

Yes. I suppose that would be a very real possibility. Welcome to the 51st state.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:58 am

Another Bill wrote:There would of course be the increased congestion caused by loss of a running lane, but other traffic management aspects such as variable speed limit gantries would probably remain, so a ‘reverted’ SM may still flow better than before it became smart.

Agressively ticketing MLMs would make a significant difference to traffic flow.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:11 am

The first 4 lane stretch that I can recall was the M4, East, approaching the M25.

It seemed to cause a reaction of 'get in a lane, stay there'.

Now, with ALR on smart motorways, there is a common view to not use L1 as its dangerous.

Which is great, because it reduces occupancy and increases forward view!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:38 am

jont- wrote:
Another Bill wrote:There would of course be the increased congestion caused by loss of a running lane, but other traffic management aspects such as variable speed limit gantries would probably remain, so a ‘reverted’ SM may still flow better than before it became smart.

Better or worse than fully legitimising 'pass on either side?

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:21 am

waremark wrote:
jont- wrote:

Better or worse than fully legitimising 'pass on either side?

Well, legitimising passing either side would free things up, but if folk are so inattentive they can't even be bothered to move left when there's a lane free, I'd much rather have them off the roads altogether. I believe there's a thing called a "bus" or "train" if you don't want to put the effort into driving :twisted:

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:31 pm

My personal experience is that, in recent years, folks have got better at keeping left. Not perfect, but better. There was a lot of media coverage a few years back when fixed penalties were introduced for due care & attention offences, and lane hogging was cited as example.

One thing that irritates me a smidgen is the ‘fast laners’, often travelling well in excess of speed limit, and refusing to budge from the rightmost lane, even on a right hand bend where it impedes the view ahead.

But at end of the day I’m not a traffic cop and they’re not holding me up, so not really any of my business. No excuse for letting myself get stressed about it so these days, I don’t.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:49 pm

jont- wrote:Well, legitimising passing either side would free things up, but if folk are so inattentive they can't even be bothered to move left when there's a lane free, I'd much rather have them off the roads altogether. I believe there's a thing called a "bus" or "train" if you don't want to put the effort into driving :twisted:

Not realistic, but don't worry, autopilot will be along soon!

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:40 am

waremark wrote:
jont- wrote:Well, legitimising passing either side would free things up, but if folk are so inattentive they can't even be bothered to move left when there's a lane free, I'd much rather have them off the roads altogether. I believe there's a thing called a "bus" or "train" if you don't want to put the effort into driving :twisted:

Not realistic, but don't worry, autopilot will be along soon!

In the meantime not quite autopilot, active cruise etc makes things worse and encourages laziness. Don't tell me if you can autopark a car, you can't tell the driver they aren't overtaking and need to move left :roll:

Return to “General Chat”