MOT Test result check...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Silk
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: South Glos.

Re: MOT Test result check...

Postby Silk » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:23 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:DVSA should pick this up - that was one of the main reasons for introducing centralised MOT records. Of course someone will probably claim the speedo was replaced. Should be fairly easy for them to check where the fraud happened, though, if you feel like dropping them a line.


It would have been clocked before its first MOT. If I'd have had the MOT done myself before I sold it, I wouldn't have got as much.

As I've said before, I did nothing wrong but I'm not naïve. I'm not obliged to put the mileage on the V5 and I don't have to have the MOT done until the car is 3 years old. If I'd done either of those things, then selling the car would have been a lot more difficult.

Revian
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:58 pm
Location: Wirral

Re: MOT Test result check...

Postby Revian » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:24 am

Silk....I expect you'd do your own MOT if you could.;-)
Ian

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: MOT Test result check...

Postby jont- » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:41 am

Silk wrote:As I've said before, I did nothing wrong but I'm not naïve. I'm not obliged to put the mileage on the V5 and I don't have to have the MOT done until the car is 3 years old. If I'd done either of those things, then selling the car would have been a lot more difficult.

Given you as seller send the V5 off to the DVLA, there's nothing to stop you adding the mileage after handing the car over and before you send it off.

Silk
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: South Glos.

Re: MOT Test result check...

Postby Silk » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:11 pm

jont- wrote:
Silk wrote:As I've said before, I did nothing wrong but I'm not naïve. I'm not obliged to put the mileage on the V5 and I don't have to have the MOT done until the car is 3 years old. If I'd done either of those things, then selling the car would have been a lot more difficult.

Given you as seller send the V5 off to the DVLA, there's nothing to stop you adding the mileage after handing the car over and before you send it off.


It's a bit different when you sell to the trade although you can put the mileage in the box - nothing to stop the dealer "losing" the V5 though. But why would I want to do a thing like that and risk wiping a thousand quid off the price.

The car was probably clocked by whoever bought it from the auction. I doubt We Want Any Car had anything to do with it, even if they are well aware of what goes on.

In the end it's a victimless "crime" as the car is still on the road and no doubt performing just as well as a genuine 120K miler.

Silk
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: South Glos.

Re: MOT Test result check...

Postby Silk » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:17 pm

Revian wrote:Silk....I expect you'd do your own MOT if you could.;-)


No need. I never have a car that old. These days, I try not to have a car over 2 years old - I get bored easily and someone has to provide a constant stream of used cars for the plebs. ;)

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: MOT Test result check...

Postby jont- » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Silk wrote:But why would I want to do a thing like that and risk wiping a thousand quid off the price.
...
In the end it's a victimless "crime" as the car is still on the road and no doubt performing just as well as a genuine 120K miler.

Oh I see. You mean you're a selfish shit, and so long as you're alright, sod everyone else? Nice attitude :roll:

It's not "victimless", and while you might want to assuage your conscience, it doesn't change your selfishness. If someone was changing the "best-before" date on food and passing it off as still ok would you get upset? Afterall, it's probably still edible and probably won't kill anyone :roll: And let me guess, rather than get a structural surveyor in to look at big cracks in your house, you'd just slap some mortar in them and move quickly? Caveat emptor and all that shit?

Someone is paying well over the odds for a car that's knackered. If it was still so wonderful, why aren't you hanging on to it?

/actually, with a bit more thought, you're the chap selling horsemeat to Tescos for burgers, aren't you. You describe it as horsemeat to the next chap in the process, and so long as there's cash in your pocket, who cares where it ends up or how it's described when it gets there.

User avatar
angus
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: Colchester - Oldest Town, oldest roads

Re: MOT Test result check...

Postby angus » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:29 pm

So what about insurance companies?

When my Mondeo was written off, they insisted on the whole V5, including the part you are supposed to send back to DVLA separately, so there was no record of it having been written off

Revian
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:58 pm
Location: Wirral

Re: MOT Test result check...

Postby Revian » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Silk wrote:
Revian wrote:Silk....I expect you'd do your own MOT if you could.;-)


No need. I never have a car that old. These days, I try not to have a car over 2 years old - I get bored easily and someone has to provide a constant stream of used cars for the plebs. ;)

Thank you... :D
Ian

Silk
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: South Glos.

Re: MOT Test result check...

Postby Silk » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:40 pm

jont- wrote:Oh I see. You mean you're a selfish shit, and so long as you're alright, sod everyone else? Nice attitude :roll:


If you want to win an argument with me (which is unlikely), you'll have to do a lot better than that (also unlikely).

I did nothing wrong and broke no laws. I simply sold a car to a dealer giving accurate details of its history and mileage at the point of sale. I'm not legally required to declare the mileage on the V5; neither do I have to submit the car for an MOT test until it's 3 years old. What subsequent owners decide to do with the car is out of my control and none of my damn business. If you don't like it, write to your MP.

I'm no more responsible for clocking than the shop that sells "ornamental" pipes is responsible for drug taking.

Silk
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: South Glos.

Re: MOT Test result check...

Postby Silk » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:42 pm

Revian wrote:
Silk wrote:
Revian wrote:Silk....I expect you'd do your own MOT if you could.;-)


No need. I never have a car that old. These days, I try not to have a car over 2 years old - I get bored easily and someone has to provide a constant stream of used cars for the plebs. ;)

Thank you... :D


You're very welcome. ;)


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jont- and 1 guest