Driving licences for UK citizens after March 2019

Advanced Driving across Europe
sussex2

Driving licences for UK citizens after March 2019

Postby sussex2 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:08 am

waremark

Re: Driving licences for UK citizens after March 2019

Postby waremark » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:11 pm

How do you get an IDP most easily and cheaply?

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:25 pm

waremark wrote:How do you get an IDP most easily and cheaply?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/internation ... get-an-idp

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:20 pm

It seems you may need two separate IDPs if driving through France to Spain, as thousands do each year. It is of course not certain and as some Spanish say - Nadie lo sabe - Nobody knows. It could be the 1968 one or the 1949 one....France and Spain require different IDPs it seems.
Who will do the enforcing? At the port or train station before you leave? Or, on arrival at the station or port.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:17 am

It looks as though one will be able to get IDP's at most post offices after 1st Feb. Last time I got one very few post offices did them. I had to drag into Oxford to get it. I rather hope that this whole IDP thing gets sorted. I'm sure we didn't have this cattlermanure before we joined the EU

hir

Postby hir » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:00 pm

Triquet wrote:... I rather hope that this whole IDP thing gets sorted. I'm sure we didn't have this cattlermanure before we joined the EU

I'm afraid we did. In addition to an IDL and insurance "green card", you had to have a £1,000 "Bail Bond", obtained from your insurer, before you could drive in Spain during the sixties! If you couldn't produce the "Bail Bond" for the Spanish customs officers at the border you weren't going to go any further!

And, what about the 6 hour deliberately aggravating and unnecessary delay when crossing from Spain to Gibraltar. The Spanish customs guards would just sit there playing cards and chating for half an hour before allowing the next car through. Then it was back to playing cards for another half an hour.

But, if that's what we voted for, then so be it.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:10 pm

Triquet wrote:It looks as though one will be able to get IDP's at most post offices after 1st Feb. Last time I got one very few post offices did them. I had to drag into Oxford to get it. I rather hope that this whole IDP thing gets sorted. I'm sure we didn't have this cattlermanure before we joined the EU

I can't speak for France but am well aware that the Spanish government is prepared to look more kindly on UK refugees ;) It will however expect them to be fully legal in the country which is going to come as a shock to some - but hey ho from what I hear it is what a lot of them voted for.
Extreme sacasm mode ceased :)

angus

Postby angus » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:59 pm

sussex2 wrote: I can't speak for France but am well aware that the Spanish government is prepared to look more kindly on UK refugees ;)

I'm not sure that applies to all of Spain but we'll be in the Basque Country in the summer, so I'm hopeful.

I'm waiting for someone to tell us that the old paper licence won't be valid for driving in Europe

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:07 pm

Don't put all your Basques in one exit.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:46 am

angus wrote:
sussex2 wrote: I can't speak for France but am well aware that the Spanish government is prepared to look more kindly on UK refugees ;)

I'm not sure that applies to all of Spain but we'll be in the Basque Country in the summer, so I'm hopeful.

I'm waiting for someone to tell us that the old paper licence won't be valid for driving in Europe

One of the best parts of the country which so many people miss in their headlong rush to the Med; which of course makes it better for those that do visit the wild Atlantic coast....if you have not been there before I'll be happy to give some advice.

Return to “Europe”