Hella on tomorrow's ADAS cameras and sensors

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
akirk

Hella on tomorrow's ADAS cameras and sensors

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:31 pm

http://www.just-auto.com/interview/hell ... 63761.aspx

An interview with Dr. Christian Amsel - board member of Hella.

This year our IAA motto is "making sense(s)". We think that the connected vehicle requires additional senses, such as sense of touch, smell and sight to allow the integration of the vehicle into a digital network of "mobility units". In today's vehicles this is already realized through lighting, camera and radar technology, for example from Hella. With an increasing degree of integration of vehicles into networks such as the principles of vehicle-to-vehicle or vehicle-to-infrastructure, the vehicle needs to extend its senses to derive sufficient information about its environment in order to draw up a "digital environmental map". More specifically, this digitalized map should not only include objects like pedestrians, vehicles or road boundaries, but also environmental conditions such as air quality, light conditions or rain intensity.

Furthermore, we think that connected vehicles will interact more closely with their users through smartphone integration or smart lighting functions. This is where Hella's vision of "making sense(s)" comes in: We provide connected vehicles with (human) senses that allow interpretation and interaction with the environment. To convey our vision at the IAA 2015, we have sketched five use cases on consumer level, which reflect how connected vehicles could be enhanced by innovative electronics and lighting technologies. In the use case "damage detection", the consumer learns how a daily life situation - like a car being scratched in the parking lot - can be handled independently by the connected vehicle: the car detects the damage, illuminates the environment, takes a picture of the incident, informs the driver via smartphone and sends the case to the insurance for further processing - this is how innovative technology can make our life easier. This is Hella's motto "Technology with Vision" in action.

some interesting stuff, just in that opening set of paragraphs - cars with a sense of smell, touch & sight? Do we really need that?
a car that chooses when to contact the insurance company and puts a claim in on your behalf -really?! :)

If you look at Volkswagen you will find a new application "guided parking" based on front camera. The driver has to train the way to the garage only one time. The next time you are getting out of the car, you don't have to drive the car to the garage by yourself; you just hit the roof of the car three times. This is enough to tell the car, ‘Please go into the garage'. This is just one example of a car with additional senses.

brilliant idea...
until you drive home and park on the drive...
your 10 year old son is playing basket ball, and throws the ball at you
you miss, the ball bounces on the roof three times...
the car takes that as guidance to go into the garage, and promptly runs over your other 16 children, the dog and the goldfish - and then drives through the garage door... :D mmm

Simply more technology to go wrong, make assumptions and cause lots of issues...

why are we allowing this approach to develop, sometimes simplicity is the better of the options...

Alasdair

TripleS

Re: Hella on tomorrow's ADAS cameras and sensors

Postby TripleS » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:22 am

"The machines are taking over."

That's what somebody is reckoned to have said many years ago - probably largely in jest at the time - but that's the way we're heading, and it seems to be only a matter of time before some form of artificial intelligence appears on the scene. If/when that happens I think the normal range of human functioning as we have known it will become increasingly irrelevant. Is that the way we are happy to go? I'm not.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:57 am

A vehicle (think stability issues of motorcycles)which can 'smell' diesel spills?

Is that so bad?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:24 pm

Horse wrote:A vehicle (think stability issues of motorcycles) which can 'smell' diesel spills?

Is that so bad?

No, it isn't; but unfortunately along with the genuinely useful aids comes a load of other frivolous/intrusive stuff that I really wouldn't want. It seems to me there's far too much complexity now being built into vehicles, and I'd prefer these 'refinements' to be offered as optional extras, for buyers to make the choice as to whether they want them or not.

As for the hazard of diesel spills, you'd need the wind to be in the right direction for 'the nose' to detect the diesel spill. :P

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:22 pm

Hence why I used inverted commas . . .

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:29 pm

I saw a demo recently of (I think) a Ford with self-parking. Given the grief some people have with parallel parking, that seems a reasonable option.

I'm rubbish at knowing the space behind when reversing, and the camera system I used on a
Nissan was brill.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:49 am

Horse wrote:I saw a demo recently of (I think) a Ford with self-parking. Given the grief some people have with parallel parking, that seems a reasonable option.

Given the trouble some people have with basic technology, I'm not convinced :lol:

Return to “Technology”