Mazda removing touchscreens from cars

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
GTR1400MAN

Re: Mazda removing touchscreens from cars

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:12 am

sussex2 wrote:I've got a Mazda and it has the most simple controls, but everything I actually need. I can use my phone or navigation if needed. It is mind you a 19yr old MX5.
I have never felt I needed any more buttons with one exception. I would prefer if it had air conditiong - but that's it that all.
Don't you just lower the roof? :D
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:20 pm

There are good touch screens and bad buttons as well as vice versa. I completely disagree about voice communication being less distracting. And when you shouldn't be reading texts or emails you shouldn't be listening to a disembodied voice reading them out either.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:15 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
sussex2 wrote:I've got a Mazda and it has the most simple controls, but everything I actually need. I can use my phone or navigation if needed. It is mind you a 19yr old MX5.
I have never felt I needed any more buttons with one exception. I would prefer if it had air conditiong - but that's it that all.
Don't you just lower the roof? :D

There lies the problem as I live in Spain where the current temperature is 32c. It would be little short of dangerous to try to drive any distance (bald head not helping).
In honesty even with the a/c the interior would be unbearable in the summer (you see very few convertible cars in Spain). It's contrary to some people opinions but the UK is probably the idea country for a convertible like the MX5 - lovely spring days with the powerful heater on etc.

ps We were in Turin at the weekend and an exhibition was on in this car crazy city. We met the great man himself T. Matano the brains behind the MX5 and much of the ethos of the company. I would not be surprised if he was behind this, for me, welcome improvement.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:18 am

waremark wrote:There are good touch screens and bad buttons as well as vice versa. I completely disagree about voice communication being less distracting. And when you shouldn't be reading texts or emails you shouldn't be listening to a disembodied voice reading them out either.

I believe it is the conversation itself and not the physical actions which are the main distraction from the driving.

Return to “Technology”