A Very Good Read

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
DJP31

Re: A Very Good Read

Postby DJP31 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:18 pm

Gareth wrote:
DJP31 wrote:I know Tesla ran one comparing the accident rate on cars using Autopilot v those that weren't - whether it would stand up to scientific scrutiny I don't know. I can only speak from my experience of the Tesla system, and that very definitely in the category of driver assistance, and not autonomy.

As before, would you agree that there is a difference between technology that allows the driver to be disengaged from the task and that which doesn't?

Thing is, names are important, and calling something 'Autopilot' sets an expectation which cannot be justified, given the state of the art.

Yes I agree there is a difference between being disengaged and not, and the use of the term Autopilot has been the subject of many a debate. The common perception is that autopilot means autonomy, which it doesn't - "it's set to maintain a course or altitude while the pilot concentrates on other details of operating the airplane" being one description.

Whether calling it something else would make any difference to those who are determined to use it in a way it's not designed for I doubt.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon May 20, 2019 1:02 pm

DJP31 wrote:Yes I agree there is a difference between being disengaged and not

So, without trying to put words in your mouth, do you agree that technology that encourages the driver to pay less attention isn't helpful?

DJP31 wrote:The common perception is that autopilot means autonomy,

If that's the common perception, wouldn't it be better if it had a different name, one that more accurately fitted the function it performs?

DJP31 wrote:Whether calling it something else would make any difference to those who are determined to use it in a way it's not designed for I doubt.

There will always be people who want to test the capability of the technology, as in the earlier linked video, but that person was paying attention.

It might discourage some potential purchasers who aren't interested in driving, who are looking for an electronic chauffeur, if it were explicitly stated in the description, and strongly implied by its name, that it is only an enhanced cruise control.

Edited to add, a link I found matches quite well with the common understanding of what an autopilot does and how it is used -- https://slate.com/news-and-politics/1999/11/what-do-autopilots-do.html -- while another, perhaps more authoritative, discusses some of the issues of automation -- https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Cockpit_Automation_-_Advantages_and_Safety_Challenges -- both of which give an impression that is at odds with claims that autopilot systems have limited capability and rely of the pilots' full attention at all times.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

DJP31

Postby DJP31 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:51 pm

There’s plenty of technology that arguably ‘encourages’ a driver to pay less attention - reversing cameras and ‘beep beeps’ spring to mind. As for different names, there are countless things that are marketed with dubious accuracy, on a motoring theme Lexus/Toyota on their ‘self charging hybrid’ is a good topical one.

The driver in the video posted might have been paying attention, but he was deliberately using it in situations that it is not designed for.

Return to “Technology”