A Very Good Read

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
martine

Re: A Very Good Read

Postby martine » Fri May 10, 2019 11:29 am

...but Tesla would argue you are safer (on average) when in autonomous mode than driving it yourself. I don't believe anyone is suggesting there will be no collisions in autonomous mode in the future, just less.

I don't believe a truly autonomous car (as in no input from a driver regardless of route/weather etc) will be available in the next few years.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri May 10, 2019 11:51 am

jont- wrote:
Triquet wrote:“wholesale rollout of this technology without infrastructure or maturity is reckless.”

Exactly. And IMHO early roll-out could lead to some very nasty incidents, followed by some very tortuous legal arguments.

Already has. See the various lawsuits against Tesla around "autopilot" causing fatalities, and there was the Uber fatal crash too.

That was there. Here, realistically, it's not going to happen anytime soon. See the article I quoted from.

And that's not to say that incidents won't happen during any testing here either.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri May 10, 2019 9:55 pm

Auto pilot? Pah! :o

Watch this. It's more involved than driving the car yourself! :?

Lots of interesting videos about his Tesla car, the software and how it copes with UK roads on his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW2uLZ ... IwmPF2RIQw
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat May 11, 2019 7:28 am

"This isn't illegal. If anything this is more safe than most of the drivers around here".

Really? Someone needs a reality check.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat May 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Interesting to see some of what's changed along the route.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

DJP31

Postby DJP31 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:25 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Auto pilot? Pah! :o

Watch this. It's more involved than driving the car yourself! :?

Lots of interesting videos about his Tesla car, the software and how it copes with UK roads on his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW2uLZ ... IwmPF2RIQw

I drive a Tesla and I stopped watching after a couple of minutes. Autopilot is designed for motorways, dual carriageways and A roads with clearly defined lane markings. It is absolutely not designed to be used in the town/city centre environment. This was amply demonstrated by the number of times he had to disengage Autopilot.

I drove extensively yesterday on the M25/M3/M4 and the system works extremely well. The combination of adaptive cruise control and auto steering makes motorway driving safer, the type of situation he was in quite the opposite. :bash:

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat May 18, 2019 1:40 pm

AAMOI, what does the Tesla driver manual say it's for?

If, as above, motorway/freeway driving, then using it elsewhere would be like urban brake assist on country lanes.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat May 18, 2019 1:48 pm

DJP31 wrote:I drive a Tesla and I stopped watching after a couple of minutes. Autopilot is designed for motorways, dual carriageways and A roads with clearly defined lane markings. It is absolutely not designed to be used in the town/city centre environment. This was amply demonstrated by the number of times he had to disengage Autopilot.

So why don't they geofence it then?

/oh wait, that would mean they couldn't do beta testing on the cheap, putting unsuspecting members of the public at risk :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

DJP31

Postby DJP31 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Horse wrote:AAMOI, what does the Tesla driver manual say it's for?

If, as above, motorway/freeway driving, then using it elsewhere would be like urban brake assist on country lanes.

From the manual:

Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily
intended for driving on dry, straight roads,
such as highways and freeways. It should not
be used on city streets.

Autosteer is intended for use
only on highways and limited-access
roads with a fully attentive driver.

DJP31

Postby DJP31 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:30 pm

jont- wrote:
DJP31 wrote:I drive a Tesla and I stopped watching after a couple of minutes. Autopilot is designed for motorways, dual carriageways and A roads with clearly defined lane markings. It is absolutely not designed to be used in the town/city centre environment. This was amply demonstrated by the number of times he had to disengage Autopilot.

So why don't they geofence it then?

/oh wait, that would mean they couldn't do beta testing on the cheap, putting unsuspecting members of the public at risk :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

I don’t know why it’s not limited only to the roads it’s designed for, but even then you have Darwin Award contenders. If it were up to me when the car uploads the driving data to the Mothership, if it was identified Autopilot had been used in these circumstances I’d disable the feature on that car.

Return to “Technology”