Speed limiters mandatory from 2022?

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
waremark

Re: Speed limiters mandatory from 2022?

Postby waremark » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:15 am

Those of us with speed limit display systems know they sometimes get it wrong. Does anyone believe there càn be a step change in the accuracy of speed limit monitoring systems by 2022?

Does anyone here agree with Brake and the DfT that it will lead to a step change in road safety? Sadly I think it may - they say the system can be switched off but will be on by default. I expect the majority will leave it on and average speeds everywhere will come down just a little allowing drivers a little more time to deal with the hazards in front of them.

When it becomes reliable it will reduce workload and stress for the conscientious.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:42 am

waremark wrote:When it becomes reliable it will reduce workload and stress for the conscientious.

I doubt it will reduce stress (just like traffic "calming" would be better named "infuriating"). If it makes any sort of appreciable difference to workload that suggests there's already a problem with lack of clarity of signage. And if you can't see the signs now, how is the computer going to see them?

angus

Postby angus » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:10 pm

I had a hire car a while back with sign recognition. It was very good at spotting signs down side roads. Can just imagine it slamming the brakes on if the side road is 30. On the plus side, if you live in Suffolk where the main roads are 40/50 and the diddy country lanes are still national.......

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:37 pm

I wonder whether - and if so, how - it is going to be compulsory on motorcycles.

Potentially serious adverse implications for control of the bike and safety if the system limits acceleration mid-bend.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Also, how will they cope with things like Smart motorway temporary lower limits - or will the driver be expected to monitor and react to those? Otherwise, potential liability issues.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:57 pm

I passed the end of a 30 rural village - into a 60 NSL the other day - one sign had been turned around - two scenarios:
- coming out of the village, presumably the system will limit the driver to 30mph in an NSL?
- coming into the village, will it still restrict to 30 on one sign - hopefully, otherwise it could allow the car to go up to 60mph - tie it in with an automated cruise control and the car could even take you up to 60mph automatically...
both poor scenarios

however, isn't the suggestion that it will tie in with gps - i.e. not needing to read road signs - just knowing the speed? If so, it presumably must get the info from the same source as used by satnavs (which are often wrong for quite a period of time after a speed limit changes / don't deal with temporary changes very well) - so lots of liability there - the car allowed me to do xxx

huge mess ahead!

but the value of my analogue M5 will just keep on going up!

Alasdair

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Buy something old and avoid this nonsense ...

https://www.peacockauction.co.uk/lot/on ... ve-spares;

martine

Postby martine » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:46 pm

My understanding was this ISA is overridable:

From https://etsc.eu/etsc-welcomes-provision ... standards/
...The new rules include requirements for new technologies, such as Automated Emergency Braking which can detect pedestrians and cyclists, as well as overridable Intelligent Speed Assistance, to be fitted as standard for the first time.

I also heard something about a 112mph top speed but again presumably this is overridable for Autobahns and track days?

What does it do if it doesn't recognise a speed limit sign? or the GPS map isn't updated?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:59 pm

martine wrote:What does it do if it doesn't recognise a speed limit sign? or the GPS map isn't updated?

Any GPS based system will necessarily be out of date, will not cope with temporary or variable limits and often thinks you are driving on a parallel road.

IIRC there was a recent change that means local authorities are no longer required to ensure speed limit signs are present in pairs or that all repeaters are in place. If there is no requirement to notify drivers (or cars) of the limit then how can they be expected to obey it, or indeed, be prosecuted should they happen to exceed it?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:34 pm

This one on a one NSL road, now 50, catches a lot out (including me first time!Certainly woke up my riding colleague :) )

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (370.62 KiB) Viewed 8129 times
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “Technology”