Speed limiters mandatory from 2022?

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
Horse

Re: Speed limiters mandatory from 2022?

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:58 pm

martine wrote:Also from the BBC website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

"...The system can be overridden temporarily. If a car is overtaking a lorry on a motorway and enters a lower speed-limit area, the driver can push down hard on the accelerator to complete the manoeuvre.

A full on/off switch for the system is also envisaged, but this would lapse every time the vehicle is restarted."

So although annoying, it doesn't seem as bad as some have envisaged...at least at the start...

Geneva Convention, innit?

"The driver of a vehicle shall at all times have its speed under control"
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:00 pm

hir wrote:I share your pain. But I have a way of mitigating the frustration, irritation and exasperation. :)

I do not regard myself, and never have, as "working for the IAM". I have always regarded myself as "working for the associate". So, as far as I'm concerned, the IAM is simply a means to an end in supplying me with a steady stream of members of the general public who wish to improve their driving skills. I'm more than happy to help those individuals and they're always grateful for the help and guidance I am able to offer. In that way I've managed to create a disconnect between myself and the silliness, which enables me to retain my sanity. This approach also helps to keep my blood pressure under control. :D

Just a thought.

I worded it that way just to emphasise the point of what we the local groups do. ;)

As a side note the IAM supply us with NO associates and all ours are sourced by our own publicity events, local contacts, word of mouth. Of course you can't see that in the stats as we get them all to join using the IAM website/online payment.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

vanman

Postby vanman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:32 pm

Been hard thinking this ISA topic. What if one is entering a 20mph zone from a NSL the 20 sign is obscured by foliage. So I haven't noticed the built up area either (yeh I know we are all prefect) the limiter kicks in, do the brake lights show? I'm in 6th so likely to stall. Pity the following driver, especially if I have "BRAKE" assist.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:28 am

vanman wrote:Been hard thinking this ISA topic. What if one is entering a 20mph zone from a NSL the 20 sign is obscured by foliage. So I haven't noticed the built up area either (yeh I know we are all prefect) the limiter kicks in, do the brake lights show? I'm in 6th so likely to stall. Pity the following driver, especially if I have "BRAKE" assist.

Just for arguments sake: if you only saw a 30 sign late, with a camera van just beyond, how hard would you brake?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

vanman

Postby vanman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:18 am

Horse wrote:
vanman wrote:Been hard thinking this ISA topic. What if one is entering a 20mph zone from a NSL the 20 sign is obscured by foliage. So I haven't noticed the built up area either (yeh I know we are all prefect) the limiter kicks in, do the brake lights show? I'm in 6th so likely to stall. Pity the following driver, especially if I have "BRAKE" assist.

Just for arguments sake: if you only saw a 30 sign late, with a camera van just beyond, how hard would you brake?

Fair enough, my point was WILL my brakes be applied by the system or is the engine speed cut? Rev. limiters only work one way on acceleration will ISA work in a more advanced way? :?

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:42 am

vanman wrote:
Horse wrote:

Fair enough, my point was WILL my brakes be applied by the system or is the engine speed cut? Rev. limiters only work one way on acceleration will ISA work in a more advanced way? :?

Also, coming back into NSL how hard will it accelerate? And will a car detect if it's being overtaken and back off?

vanman

Postby vanman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:36 pm

Sadly I feel this is all going to be academic soon the system will be implemented whatever, and here is the bummer :evil: older cars will be compulsorily fitted with black boxes by the insurance companies as a check they are conforming to the rules and if not premiums will soar or be cancelled......you got the idea. :roll:
Letters to MPs in order, but sadly they will feel unable to risk their votes so we be stuffed. :x

With any luck the system will prove (as we have pointed out) to be too dangerous to implement, this will of course take time, but hope remains.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:34 pm

I suspect that this system will first appear in all-electric (or possibly hybrid) cars where the electronics can be neatly integrated with the drive management systems and it will be "go" and "regenerative braking"

RiK

Postby RiK » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:50 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Just commented on there.

I had replied to your comment there in a similar manner, but I've just removed that post after a reminder from our RSDM that we're posting there on the official IAM Facebook page, and in pointing out our role as observers we're really not towing the corporate line, so a bit of a :nono: slapped wrist for me.

I can't really argue against that given I'd had a bit of a dig at the IAM whilst wearing my observer hat, so I took the simplest path and removed the post. Doesn't change my position on the tech though, but I do accept that if I'm representing the IAM as an observer I need to be careful what I say in a public forum for the IAM...
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

hir

Postby hir » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:26 pm

RiK wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:
Just commented on there.

I had replied to your comment there in a similar manner, but I've just removed that post after a reminder from our RSDM that we're posting there on the official IAM Facebook page, and in pointing out our role as observers we're really not towing the corporate line, so a bit of a :nono: slapped wrist for me.

I can't really argue against that given I'd had a bit of a dig at the IAM whilst wearing my observer hat, so I took the simplest path and removed the post. Doesn't change my position on the tech though, but I do accept that if I'm representing the IAM as an observer I need to be careful what I say in a public forum for the IAM...

Did you get any indication from your RSDM that your posted comments would have been acceptable if you hadn't highlighted your role as an observer?

Also, I'm amazed that anyone, even an RSDM, even reads the IAM's FaceBook pages! :lol:

Return to “Technology”