“Black box” recorders to become compulsory?

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
RiK

“Black box” recorders to become compulsory?

Postby RiK » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:29 am

This is going to poke the hornets’ nest...

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/black-bo ... -new-cars/

:soap:
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

GTR1400MAN

Re: “Black box” recorders to become compulsory?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:11 am

Not what I thought I was going to read. I thought it was going to be an insurance style box (which we should all resist having fitted to stop it becoming 'the norm').

Many vehicles already have what is being talked about in the article. Data is stored in/by the ecu on a rolling basis. Not for great lengths of time but for long enough to know how the vehicle was being driven prior to an incident.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:46 am

I'm tempted to complain to the ASA about "intelligent" speed adaption since it's absolutely nothing of the sort. Presumably when it becomes widespread enough, scameras will cease to exist though, which could be an upside?

As for driver monitoring, I wonder whether it will really help when it will show most people barely look out the window and are readily distracted by phones, passengers, infotainment systems, badly designed touch screens etc etc etc.

I don't think we'll need to worry any time soon though given eCall took nearly 20 years to be mandated.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:27 am

Given the mandatory eCall, along with widespread fitment of lane guidance and other cameras, and the standard fitment of on-board vehicle systems logging, it's really only a case of linking everything then agreeing the format to store and extract the data.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:52 am

and all of this will simply make cars like my e39 M5 more valuable :D

Alasdair

vanman

Postby vanman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:45 pm

akirk wrote:and all of this will simply make cars like my e39 M5 more valuable :D

Alasdair

My ultra low tech micra is also appreciating in value, sadly the rust is also appreciating. Still I know a good welder. :D

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:33 am

vanman wrote:
akirk wrote:and all of this will simply make cars like my e39 M5 more valuable :D

Alasdair

My ultra low tech micra is also appreciating in value, sadly the rust is also appreciating. Still I know a good welder. :D

Likewise my Mx5 Mk2 should also appreciate in value. I have though had the endemic rust properly fixed (even MK3's seem to have this oxide problem).
The car will be emigrating to Spain shortly where you rarely see rusty cars. The little car will even squeeze into the bans on pre 2000 vehicles which will become more common in Spanish cities (Madrid next year I believe).

TR4ffic

Postby TR4ffic » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:08 pm

I've gone with the (currently still) appreciating, completely devoid of any electronics option..!

All I have to contend with is the Lucas 'Prince of Darkness' electrics.!! :D

IMG_1623.tiff
IMG_1623.tiff (970.55 KiB) Viewed 16283 times

Nick

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:56 pm

A lot of people wont' be able to see TR4ffic's photo as it is a TIFF.

Here's JPG version.

IMG_1623 copy.jpg
IMG_1623 copy.jpg (251.99 KiB) Viewed 16267 times
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:36 am

[quote="TR4ffic"]I've gone with the (currently still) appreciating, completely devoid of any electronics option..!

All I have to contend with is the Lucas 'Prince of Darkness' electrics.!! :D

I am assuming the POD (prince of darkness) uses older lucas bulbs not H7 or H4. I recently upgraded the Micra's bulbs to higher output, but had to also replace the fittings and wires with beefier ones from a volvo as the original ones melted. :oops:

Return to “Technology”