New Audi A6 - not able to switch off Stop/Start function

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
hir

New Audi A6 - not able to switch off Stop/Start function

Postby hir » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:37 pm

My local Audi dealer tells me that the New A6 doesn’t have an “off” button for the Stop/Start function. In other words, the Stop/Start function is permanently engaged and impossible to turn off. The reason being, they say, is that new regulations are being introduced that will prohibit the driver from switching off the Stop/Start function on all new cars and Audi are simply pre-empting the new regulations.

Is this true? Has anyone else heard this?

Gareth

Re: New Audi A6 - not able to switch off Stop/Start function

Postby Gareth » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 pm

It could be buried in or a consequence of meeting the Euro 7 regulations.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:38 pm

Gareth wrote:It could be buried in or a consequence of meeting the Euro 7 regulations.

Or WLTP assessment program (not sure if that's the same thing).

It might also be it doesn't have a stop/start disable button, but with the appropriate diagnostic rig you can turn if off in the software. And not providing the button will save the 20cents, so definitely worthwhile :lol:

martine

Postby martine » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:47 pm

I imagine it's possible to turn it off using the ODBC port.

But why?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:53 pm

My RenaultSport Clio 200 has an off button but it resets at every engine start. It can not be permanently turned off as it then wouldn't meet the Euro 4 emissions test and Renault wouldn't be able to market it with the non-achievable fuel figures.

Martin, there's no ODBC port method either. You can pull one of the fuses but this means driving with a warning light and no ABS! :o

As to why? Because it is a bl**dy annoying feature that is useless at RABs, hill start junctions, poor visibility junctions and in heavy stop/start commuter traffic. My muscle memory now starts the engine with a button push and immediately presses the button to deactivate stop/start.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:28 pm

It's not so bad in SWMBOs car which is manual, but you can force a restart by dipping the clutch. The problem I've had with autos with it is there's no way to tell the car you're about to want power, without wanting it /now/ - eg to slip into a small gap on a roundabout. I guess you might be able to left foot brake and tickle the throttle, but these days thats likely to trip up other ecu issues and besides it's not very mechanically sympathetic.

Carbon Based

Postby Carbon Based » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:34 pm

In our automatic I find that it is possible to lift the brake enough that the engine starts without inducing any creep.

Also, one of the features of sport mode is that auto stop start is switched off.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:38 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:My RenaultSport Clio 200 has an off button ... it is a bl**dy annoying feature that is useless at RABs, hill start junctions, poor visibility junctions and in heavy stop/start commuter traffic...

Your stop start activates with the car in gear and the clutch down? That's a serious flaw!
Nick

hir

Postby hir » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:14 pm

jont- wrote:The problem I've had with autos with it is there's no way to tell the car you're about to want power, without wanting it /now/ - eg to slip into a small gap on a roundabout.

Exactly this. With an auto it’s potentially dangerous, particularly when trying to flow onto a roundabout. With my current A6 the Stop/Start function will turn the engine off whilst still travelling at or about 5mph. Not only do you not have power to accelerate but you don’t have power steering either, which can be a bit unnerving.

I tried to explain this to the salesman but he told me that the system is now so sophisticated I won’t have a problem with it. Apparently, the car has a second battery that keeps the power steering activated and, he tells me, the re-Start is so “instantaneous” I won’t even notice it. I shall have a test drive and see what happens.

He also tells me that Audi has “improved” the Quattro system. Previously, the Quattro was set to default to a 60/40 bias towards the rear, only intervening to change that ratio if circumstances warranted. Consequently, the car has a bit of a “rear wheel drive” feel to it; which is good. Now, with the New Audi A6, the rear wheel drive part of the Quattro system disengages most of the time and then “instantly”, it’s the latest Audi buzz-word, re-engages if the system detects a need for four wheel drive. So, they’ve turned a four wheel drive car that was biased towards the rear into a “most of the time front wheel drive” car. Apparently it will increase fuel efficiency by about 1mpg. :lol:

But, as someone on the Audi forum has pointed out, the average punter isn’t interested in any of this. All he is interested in is whether or not the Quattro badge is sufficiently big enough for his neighbours be able to see it when parked on the drive. :roll:

angus

Postby angus » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:18 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:My RenaultSport Clio 200 has an off button ... it is a bl**dy annoying feature that is useless at RABs, hill start junctions, poor visibility junctions and in heavy stop/start commuter traffic...

Your stop start activates with the car in gear and the clutch down? That's a serious flaw!

I think these Clios are auto only

Return to “Technology”