Safety systems are there to be gamed...

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
crr003

Re: Safety systems are there to be gamed...

Postby crr003 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:22 pm

Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote: Isn't the idea to have AI "learn" as it matures, so your example of a pussy might get a speed reduction/position change . . .

TBH, I don't know. Alternatively, it might identify it has a heat source (if it can differentiate from a hot exhaust) and so still consider it higher risk? I'm guessing :)

crr003 wrote: Besides, not one of the eight, so not a problem to hit

Schroedinger used cats because they're a cost-efficient lab animal - 9 lives :)

Easier to fit into a box too.........
I meant eight as in the eight animals that are reportable in a collision, but I can see 8/9 lives confusion.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:31 pm

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:
dvenman wrote:If human drivers can't get it right all the time, how do we expect autonomous vehicles to do the same ?

That's AVs running on software written by humans :)

Isn't the idea to have AI "learn" as it matures, so your example of a pussy might get a speed reduction/position change, but after 25 pussies who have just sat there, the AI computes the risk probability/impact as low and just cracks on? Besides, not one of the eight, so not a problem to hit (and I like pussies).

Anyway, has no one watched the film Ex Machina? That's the AI future..................... :ugeek: :shock:

You'd better hope it doesn't mistake it for something else altogether because there's a bug on the sensor
https://qz.com/1117494/theres-a-glaring ... the-world/

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:54 pm

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote: Isn't the idea to have AI "learn" as it matures, so your example of a pussy might get a speed reduction/position change . . .

TBH, I don't know. Alternatively, it might identify it has a heat source (if it can differentiate from a hot exhaust) and so still consider it higher risk? I'm guessing :)

crr003 wrote: Besides, not one of the eight, so not a problem to hit

Schroedinger used cats because they're a cost-efficient lab animal - 9 lives :)

Easier to fit into a box too.........
I meant eight as in the eight animals that are reportable in a collision, but I can see 8/9 lives confusion.

No confusion, just didn't want to miss the opportunity of trotting out an old joke :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:07 pm

jont- wrote:You'd better hope it doesn't mistake it for something else altogether because there's a bug on the sensor
https://qz.com/1117494/theres-a-glaring ... the-world/

People do it too :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/euud3txjhsvs1 ... v.tif?dl=0

Yup, that was a highly trained trafpol seeing a sofa but identifying it as an HGV. I suppose that whether or not this is 'important' depends on many things, such as: will decisions be made solely on one type of sensor or will it be supported/verified, will the programming react the same whether it's a turtle or rifle pulling out in front etc.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:07 am

https://dms.licdn.com/playback/C5600AQH ... Z5lMPjXC9k

You might need to be logged in to LinkedIn to view

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:08 am

Horse wrote:https://dms.licdn.com/playback/C5600AQHGEgRgeptKyg/97716eea97a54ae58bca940a7ff831b2/feedshare-mp4_3300/1488578169071-zmy00q?e=1517573996&v=alpha&t=6_VzmgriAMLi6E_SYvvP1A7oCV1prI9H7Z5lMPjXC9k

You might need to be logged in to LinkedIn to view

Yes, seen it before. Very obviously sped up, and I've got no idea how they've found roads that empty in China :lol:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:15 am

Interesting. It picked up the moped (with jammed pedal freewheel) joining in front of it. It still jinked right when the moped stopped in its way but then thought better of it. Looked a bit jerky/reactionary.

Drivers hands resting on his legs/lap looked a bit nervous!

Also I don't know the road rules there, but why did it go straight over to the outside lane? Very early lane selection for the left turn?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:19 am

Yes, sped up - but I assumed that was to pack in more road time before people got bored since it didn't crash into a white lorry ;)

GTR1400MAN wrote:Interesting. It picked up the moped (with jammed pedal freewheel) joining in front of it. It still jinked right when the moped stopped in its way but then thought better of it. Looked a bit jerky/reactionary.

Drivers hands resting on his legs/lap looked a bit nervous!

And identified the jay-walking pedestrian, also when he then paused on the lane line.

Was it nerves, or just the safety driver being ready to take action if necessary (at realtime play speed it probably wouldn't seem so twitchy)?

Return to “Technology”