Aviva App?

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
jont-

Re: Aviva App?

Postby jont- » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:31 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:If you think it is in anyway anonymous you need to look at the permissions the App requires and understand how cookies, data mining and tracking works (ever done any surveys on Facebook? ;) ). I wouldn't let it near my phone. The last bit confirms it is a glorified G force assessor. :(

That's why I'd only install it on a different phone and wouldn't be giving it /my/ details ;)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:16 pm

Sorry, the 'you' was a generic one, not you specifically. Perhaps we should all write in French :)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:39 pm

None of this is news and has been thrashed out many times on the ADUK/ADHub forums.

To summarise previous discussions: in the absence of being able to relate the accelerometer data to the outside world the app has no way to know whether or any particular action, or inaction, is safe, dangerous, irrelevant or otherwise. It cannot even tell if you may, or may not, be exceeding any speed limit that may or may not be in force. In short: it's just a stick to beat you with. Don't hand it to them.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:59 pm

you should see the data we collect on here... I can tell whether you are taking a left-hand or right-hand corner while typing, and even what the weather is :D

there is an interesting development in all of this assuming everything comes together for next year's implementation of the new data protection legislation - where you will have the right to be forgotten digitally - I suspect a lot of app developers and company's will not be compliant!

Alasdair

PS all I really know about anyone is email address and IP at sign-up - and that Silk likes pull-push steering :D

Silk

Postby Silk » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:18 pm

akirk wrote:you should see the data we collect on here... I can tell whether you are taking a left-hand or right-hand corner while typing, and even what the weather is :D

there is an interesting development in all of this assuming everything comes together for next year's implementation of the new data protection legislation - where you will have the right to be forgotten digitally - I suspect a lot of app developers and company's will not be compliant!

Alasdair

PS all I really know about anyone is email address and IP at sign-up - and that Silk likes pull-push steering :D

I don't like it... I LOVE it!

fungus

Postby fungus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:04 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Sorry, the 'you' was a generic one, not you specifically. Perhaps we should all write in French :)

Better still Kernewek or Cymraeg. :lol:

Noswaith dda.

Nigel.

angus

Postby angus » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:52 pm

I wonder how much they use the data? Especially for actuarial purposes

Reason being, the insurance is due on the fleet. The Merkat is quoting a minimum of £430 for my Scenic and SWMBO's Mini (with "dubious" companies). Aviva only want £270. That's a big difference when I regard Aviva as reputable

Return to “Technology”