Vehicle 2 Vehicle (V2V) technology

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
Strangely Brown

Re: Vehicle 2 Vehicle (V2V) technology

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:44 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Same goes for the red light runners given in the quote.

Yeah, about that...

What sort of car is it that is so loaded with technology that it is capable of telling other cars what it is doing yet it is still allowed to run a red light?

Maybe it's just me.

ETA: Maybe there will be a new communications protocol called CTFU (coming through feck you).

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:19 pm

Reminds me of the chap who went out for a taster drive with one of our members (now dormant) at night, who was rather proud of his technique using his satnav to predict the severity of bends, as he approached them :D
Nick

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:20 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Reminds me of the chap who went out for a taster drive with one of our members (now dormant) at night, who was rather proud of his technique using his satnav to predict the severity of bends, as he approached them :D

Did he also plonk the sat nav right in the middle of his field of view, just to make sure he could see it clearly? :roll:

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:23 pm

Probably, we'll have to wait for Scooby to arrive so we can ask.
Nick

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:28 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Reminds me of the chap who went out for a taster drive with one of our members (now dormant) at night, who was rather proud of his technique using his satnav to predict the severity of bends, as he approached them :D

you joke, but.... :D

I did a trip to near Aberdeen a few years back, the satnav primed to take us the shortest route pushed us left just after Dundee and took us cross-country directly to our destination - it was basically a rally route through forest, over hump-backed bridges, and tight winding country roads - all at 1.30am and in fog.

the satnav proved very useful doing exactly as you suggest as we made progress through the night in a subaru driven by my friend - sharp left 50, bridge ahead etc. :)

Alasdair

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:47 pm

akirk wrote:the satnav proved very useful doing exactly as you suggest as we made progress through the night in a subaru driven by my friend - sharp left 50, bridge ahead etc. :)

When road-rallying it was amazing how much info your nav could give you from a Landranger - but at least on local maps their job also included knowing the "Not as map" corners - funnily enough often around bridges :lol:

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:58 pm

Is there a satnav that says, "Caution. Yump into 90 right!" ? It was in the nav briefing for one event we did. All but one of the crews heeded the warning. :shock:

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:38 pm

jont- wrote:
akirk wrote:the satnav proved very useful doing exactly as you suggest as we made progress through the night in a subaru driven by my friend - sharp left 50, bridge ahead etc. :)

When road-rallying it was amazing how much info your nav could give you from a Landranger - but at least on local maps their job also included knowing the "Not as map" corners - funnily enough often around bridges :lol:

our experience of bridges then was much like my experience of riding cross-country - there is little ability to turn left or right while in the air - an experience painfully learned :) (from a horse - not in the car!)

Alasdair

Keithrm

Postby Keithrm » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:20 am

Strangely Brown wrote:
jont- wrote:My boss's car has blind spot warning indicators on the rear view mirrors (orange light comes on when there's something in the blind spot - or you're driving closely past parked cars, hedges etc :roll: ).

Ah, I see. So, the light in the NS mirror comes on to tell you that you're too close. It catches your eye and you look left to what the light is, your hands follow your eyes and ... oops!

:D :shock: spot on

Return to “Technology”