Vehicle 2 Vehicle (V2V) technology

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
akirk

Vehicle 2 Vehicle (V2V) technology

Postby akirk » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:21 pm

http://www.techradar.com/news/car-tech/ ... es-1305930

There is a lot of debate about autonomous cars, but there is already the existing technology needed for V2V where each car talks to others... the benefits are interesting - a police car could 'tell' the car in front to stop / the road network could control the cruise control of cars to help the flow patterns in busy traffic (e.g. the equivalent of variable speed cameras) / buses could tell private cars to pause to let them through / etc.

As you slam on the brakes, a car whizzes in front of you, having run a red light that might recently have been yellow. How did you know to stop? Your car told you, and if it hadn't, there might have been a serious accident. How did your car know to stop? Well, the car that ran the red light told it.

When we think of connected cars, it's common to think of something that exists in the distant future, where cars are driving themselves and as such need to know what's happening on the road. However, connected cars have applications beyond self-driving.

People, unfortunately, break the rules of the road all the time, and sometimes there's just no way to anticipate a potentially fatal incident. But the technology that can warn drivers of an impending accident could help put an end to accidents caused by reckless drivers. Not only that, but this technology will appear in our cars – self-driving or otherwise – within the next few years.

Is this fantasy, or a reality coming to you very soon... I suspect the latter, and I am not sure it is a benefit...
- hackers
- disenfranchising the driver
- de-skilling the driver

Alasdair

gannet

Re: Vehicle 2 Vehicle (V2V) technology

Postby gannet » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:55 am

just don't buy new cars...

would certainly remove some of the fun for me to have some of the car control and decisions taken away. Can see for some that it would be welcomed... I just wouldn't ever trust it...

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:36 pm

I wouldn't mind a system where your car would warn you of the presence of other vehicles by means of visual alerts, but if this system was to have direct control over the braking system, I'd be uncomfortable with that.

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:40 pm

that is a good point - information is good - control removed from the human and invested in the machine might raise other issues...

however we have to also be careful here, too much information can confuse as well - and who gets to decide what information is necessary? the car? the human? does it improve on how we filter information / make it worse?

Alasdair

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:08 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I wouldn't mind a system where your car would warn you of the presence of other vehicles by means of visual alerts,

What, like eyes?

My boss's car has blind spot warning indicators on the rear view mirrors (orange light comes on when there's something in the blind spot - or you're driving closely past parked cars, hedges etc :roll: ). What isn't clear is how it tells you when the bulb has gone, or the radar is faulty. So you get used to relying on it, right up until it doesn't work.

/luddite.

/yes, my day job is putting more technology into cars :lol:

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:13 pm

jont- wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I wouldn't mind a system where your car would warn you of the presence of other vehicles by means of visual alerts,

What, like eyes?

*sighs* :roll:

jont- wrote:My boss's car has blind spot warning indicators on the rear view mirrors (orange light comes on when there's something in the blind spot - or you're driving closely past parked cars, hedges etc :roll: ). What isn't clear is how it tells you when the bulb has gone, or the radar is faulty. So you get used to relying on it, right up until it doesn't work.

/luddite.

/yes, my day job is putting more technology into cars :lol:

I dislike the blind-spot indicators, nothing wrong with a simple shoulder check.

But what I meant was more in terms of a system that would warn you of vehicles approaching around a blind bend on a single track lane. Especially if the vehicle is being driven by a "local"...

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:14 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:But what I meant was more in terms of a system that would warn you of vehicles approaching around a blind bend on a single track lane. Especially if the vehicle is being driven by a "local"...

radar might work...
but again, if you get used to it you run down the cyclist / horse rider when your warning doesn''t go off...

Alasdair

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:19 pm

akirk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:But what I meant was more in terms of a system that would warn you of vehicles approaching around a blind bend on a single track lane. Especially if the vehicle is being driven by a "local"...

radar might work...
but again, if you get used to it you run down the cyclist / horse rider when your warning doesn''t go off...

Alasdair

Well, I meant the technology should NOT be relied upon to enable you to fly around corners blindly, but what I meant is they would be useful in helping you be aware of someone driving in the opposite direction at an inappropriate speed. Same goes for the red light runners given in the quote.

They'll help keep you out of accidents by giving you an earlier warning of situations taking place behind brick walls or hedges.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:23 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Well, I meant the technology should NOT be relied upon to enable you to fly around corners blindly, but what I meant is they would be useful in helping you be aware of someone driving in the opposite direction at an inappropriate speed. Same goes for the red light runners given in the quote.

They'll help keep you out of accidents by giving you an earlier warning of situations taking place behind brick walls or hedges.

But it's inevitable that if it works 99% of the time, people will start to rely on it (see ABS, ESP, winter conditions).

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:42 pm

jont- wrote:My boss's car has blind spot warning indicators on the rear view mirrors (orange light comes on when there's something in the blind spot - or you're driving closely past parked cars, hedges etc :roll: ).

Ah, I see. So, the light in the NS mirror comes on to tell you that you're too close. It catches your eye and you look left to what the light is, your hands follow your eyes and ... oops!

Return to “Technology”