Black Boxes

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
martine

Re: Black Boxes

Postby martine » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:11 pm

I think even manual car's ECU knows which gear is selected and is probably accessible from the OBD port.

Some boxes reward rather then penalise - 'Insure the Box' for instance.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:54 am

Cornering forces- in a Porsche with the ability to show lateral g force, I found that far the highest g forces were very brief transitional forces at small roundabouts. No implications for safety, but I presume they would have been marked as negatives?

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:56 am

Discov8 wrote:The data collected is definately sold on to interested parties, so black boxes are a revenue earner.

What is the value of the data?

Discov8

Postby Discov8 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:24 pm

I don't know, but for a large insurance company to pursue black boxes they must anticipate a positive on the balance sheet.

Pyrolol

Postby Pyrolol » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:31 am

waremark wrote:Cornering forces- in a Porsche with the ability to show lateral g force, I found that far the highest g forces were very brief transitional forces at small roundabouts. No implications for safety, but I presume they would have been marked as negatives?

There's likely to be some smoothing applied, at least to cover sensor noise. If that's implemented differently to said Porsche, such roundabouts may appear more or less significantly.

Could still easily count against someone though: better to go straight over mini roundabouts now :P?

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:31 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
akirk wrote:does your car choice affect how much g-force there is on the black box - rolling range rover v. very flat caterham around a corner?

Alasdair

Other than the Range Rover would have fallen over by the time it reached the g forces the Caterham could generate.

It's just this sort of thing that makes pure figures meaningless. Numbers in a spreadsheet don't always equate to how a passenger would feel.

Is 'G' directly related to speed and bend radius?

If so, a high figure would show the insurance companieswho is driving faster through corners. Surely that's all they need to know to decide 'safe'? ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:12 am

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:
akirk wrote:does your car choice affect how much g-force there is on the black box - rolling range rover v. very flat caterham around a corner?

Alasdair

Other than the Range Rover would have fallen over by the time it reached the g forces the Caterham could generate.

It's just this sort of thing that makes pure figures meaningless. Numbers in a spreadsheet don't always equate to how a passenger would feel.

Is 'G' directly related to speed and bend radius?

If so, a high figure would show the insurance companieswho is driving faster through corners. Surely that's all they need to know to decide 'safe'? ;)

how does speed tell you how safe it is unless you know more details about the corner / car / etc. ?
30 mph around a hairpin alpine bend up to a ski resort in the snow could be far more dangerous than 40 round the same bend in the summer / or around a similar bend with good visibility without a 500ft drop to one side! Do they factor in 2WD v 4WD - LSD / type or tyres and amount of tread left / various tractions controls etc. on the car...

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:34 am

Pssst . . . There was a ' ;) ' :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:11 am

Horse wrote:If so, a high figure would show the insurance companieswho is driving faster through corners. Surely that's all they need to know to decide 'safe'? ;)

Nah, a high figure shows who is getting around the corner. You get a low 'g' when you plough straight on into the scenery :lol:

ancient

Postby ancient » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:24 pm

waremark wrote:Cornering forces- in a Porsche with the ability to show lateral g force, I found that far the highest g forces were very brief transitional forces at small roundabouts. No implications for safety, but I presume they would have been marked as negatives?

When they put one of these systems in the company car I drive (for an 'experimental period' apparently), I had several email exchanges with the suppliers. Apparently my usage frequently came up with poor scores because I live in an area with bendy roads. Apparently also, they had identified similar issues where drivers lived or habitually drove in areas with multiple roundabouts. The 'poor scores' came about because they were measuring the frequency of "large" lateral forces on a 'per mile' basis. This has obvious benefits for anyone whose driving is mostly on motorways (as some of my - excellently scoring journeys were), because this could result in lower premiums (were these to be used to calculate cost). This would be a benefit to insurance companies as motorways are (ISTR) among the safest roads in Britain. It would have societal benefits as it might discourage 'rat run' driving. A bit tough on those of us who mostly drive on rural roads though, or those who drive around (for example ;) ) Milton Keynes.

Return to “Technology”