Dash cameras

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
Imsensible

Re: Dash cameras

Postby Imsensible » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:51 pm

I bet it would put more than £50 on to the price of a car. Just like sat-navs and audio equipment command a premium when fitted as options. Considering that in many cars you cannot even switch off stability control, ABS, EBD, power steering, what makes you think you'll get a choice of switching a camera off? And if I don't want one or more cameras, why should I pay for them in the first place. I don't see why I should be forced to have them and then just turn them off. I'm afraid your faith in camera technology is misplaced... look on YouTube to see how limited a view most have. I have used a dedicated camera and mobile phone cameras with appropriate software in a car... when I want to, not when YOU want me to.

Keithrm

Postby Keithrm » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:53 am

Imsensible wrote:I bet it would put more than £50 on to the price of a car. Just like sat-navs and audio equipment command a premium when fitted as options. Considering that in many cars you cannot even switch off stability control, ABS, EBD, power steering, what makes you think you'll get a choice of switching a camera off? And if I don't want one or more cameras, why should I pay for them in the first place. I don't see why I should be forced to have them and then just turn them off. I'm afraid your faith in camera technology is misplaced... look on YouTube to see how limited a view most have. I have used a dedicated camera and mobile phone cameras with appropriate software in a car... when I want to, not when YOU want me to.

£50 is on the generous side, both my cameras cost less than that and that's with all the mark ups involved in the supply chain to get to me, they have a 170 degree field of view much better than your eyes. Lots of cars have pods at the top of their windscreens with lane departure cameras and scanners for various tech so to add a recording feature would be very easy and cheap. I don't want YOU to have a camera but the very fact you absolutely don't want one intrigues me, I prefer to think of them was a friend that could help me when I have had an incident and there was only me in my car and 3 witnesses in the other car that had just deliberately reversed into me for a bogus claim
But your opinion is your opinion and I respect it, I just don't understand it.
My car, lane departure, anti collision, speed limiter and more all switchable, on or off.

maverikz

Postby maverikz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:07 am

Personally I bought the Nextbase Duo as I wanted a decent 1 part camera instead of having 2 camera cables going round my car.

Check out http://cardashcamreviews.com/best-front ... sh-cam-uk/ which has a small guide to choosing a front and rear dash cam. The Transcend DrivePro 520 looked really strong quality wise however, its rear view doesn’t zoom like the duo.

RiK

Postby RiK » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:17 pm

I've got cams front and rear in my car.

In the front I've got the one that Techmoan rated highest, and said he's settled on his own car: It's the DDPAI M6+ Very small and tucked in behind my mirror, I can't see it at all from the driver's seat. Wires tucked behind the headlining and door pillar it's very discrete.

In the rear window I went for the DDPAI Mini model which is very unobtrusive next to the brake light.
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

Return to “Technology”