Winter to summer tires

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
TripleS
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:39 pm
Location: Briggswath

Re: Winter to summer tires

Postby TripleS » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:14 pm

Hmm, the atmosphere around here does seem a bit fragile, but so long as we watch the language and avoid direct rudeness, it doesn't seem so bad to me.

As for contributing 'negative or sniping comments', I don't think silk is any more guilty than I am. Maybe I ought to grow up, too: but it's getting a bit late for that. :lol:

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Winter to summer tires

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Silk wrote:I'm just tyred of all the tyre threads. My advice is simple - stop driving like a tit and you can use whatever tyres you like. :lol:

I'll do my utmost best to avoid driving like you then ;)

Silk
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: South Glos.

Re: Winter to summer tires

Postby Silk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:13 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Silk wrote:I'm just tyred of all the tyre threads. My advice is simple - stop driving like a tit and you can use whatever tyres you like. :lol:

I'll do my utmost best to avoid driving like you then ;)


There's only room for one driving god on here. :-)

Silk
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: South Glos.

Re: Winter to summer tires

Postby Silk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:15 pm

TripleS wrote:Hmm, the atmosphere around here does seem a bit fragile, but so long as we watch the language and avoid direct rudeness, it doesn't seem so bad to me.

As for contributing 'negative or sniping comments', I don't think silk is any more guilty than I am. Maybe I ought to grow up, too: but it's getting a bit late for that. :lol:


From what I've seen of all the so-called grown-ups on here, I'm more that happy to stay as I am. It's much more fun. :lol:

Silk
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: South Glos.

Re: Winter to summer tires

Postby Silk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:22 pm

Gareth wrote:
Silk wrote:I'm just tyred of all the tyre threads.

I'm tired of you going on about it, and tired of you contributing negative or sniping comments to threads which you claim have no interest to you. I wish you'd have the courtesy to let others discuss what interests them without your constant harping. Basically, I wish you'd grow up a bit.


I'm very interested, as well as a little concerned, when I see people spending good money on things that give negligible, if any benefit. IMO, they should stop it at once and concentrate on the most important aspect of any drive - the driver.

User avatar
Discov8
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: Winter to summer tires

Postby Discov8 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Silk wrote:
Gareth wrote:
Silk wrote:I'm just tyred of all the tyre threads.

I'm tired of you going on about it, and tired of you contributing negative or sniping comments to threads which you claim have no interest to you. I wish you'd have the courtesy to let others discuss what interests them without your constant harping. Basically, I wish you'd grow up a bit.


I'm very interested, as well as a little concerned, when I see people spending good money on things that give negligible, if any benefit. IMO, they should stop it at once and concentrate on the most important aspect of any drive - the driver.



Why should you be concerned with how people spend their own money?

The right tool for the job is always better. Having used summer and winter tyres and all terrain tyres and mud tyres when off road (I don't mean track) I know which tyre I prefer in each environment.

If tyres only make a negligible difference why do tyre companies spend a fortune on supporting F1 with a multitude of different compounds and wet dry combinations?

devonutopia
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:53 pm

Re: Winter to summer tires

Postby devonutopia » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:03 pm

My experience is the need for winter rubber doesn't outweigh the cost of buying / changing wheels & tyres around.

I do however live on the coast in Devon where it rarely gets cold and the sea neutralises most extremes of temperature - at both ends. :)

This winter season I don't recall any ice / any snow - sure it got chilly perhaps where normal tyres may begin to suffer marginally but I just adapted to the conditions as I would in the rain at any other time of year.

Ooop north, I can see the justification. Just not down 'ere :)

Hanna
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Re: Winter to summer tires

Postby Hanna » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:34 pm

Silk .. have you ever driven a car in the snow fitted with winter tyres?

waremark
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:23 am

Re: Winter to summer tires

Postby waremark » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:35 pm

Silk wrote:My advice is simple - stop driving like a tit and you can use whatever tyres you like. :lol:


Not if you live where I do.

Have not made time to make the change yet.

hir
Posts: 367
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Winter to summer tires

Postby hir » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:51 am

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Silk wrote:
ChristianAB wrote:I switched back to summer tires yesterday.


What do you want, a medal? :roll:

P.S. It's "tyres".

HTH

Your pedantry is tiring... ;)


I'm just tyred of all the tyre threads. My advice is simple - stop driving like a tit and you can use whatever tyres you like. :lol:


Two very polite questions if I may.

In order for me, and probably others on here, to better understand the sentiments that you express, would you kindly answer the following two questions:

1. Are you saying that you do not accept that tyres of different construction perform better under the conditions for which they are designed than tyres designed for other conditions. In other words, do you reject the assertion that a tyre designed for winter conditions performs better than a tyre designed for summer conditions at temperatures below 7 Celsius? Or, is it your opinion that the winter/summer tyre debate is nothing more than a marketing exercise by the tyre manufacturers?

2. If you do accept that winter and summer tyres perform differently and more effectively in the conditions for which they are designed, is it your position that here in the UK the extremes of temperature between seasons are not sufficient to warrant the expense of changing to winter tyres during the winter months?

Just thought I'd ask.


Return to “Technology”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest