Winter to summer tires

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
StressedDave

Re: Winter to summer tires

Postby StressedDave » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:01 am

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Silk wrote:I'm just tyred of all the tyre threads. My advice is simple - stop driving like a tit and you can use whatever tyres you like. :lol:

I'll do my utmost best to avoid driving like you then ;)

There's only room for one driving god on here. :-)

You rang m'lud?
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:20 am

devonutopia wrote:Ooop north, I can see the justification. Just not down 'ere :)

How about anywhere where the roads may be slippery by, for example, a heavy frost at the time of travel?

This winter there were a number of frosty mornings where many drivers were pussy-footing around on the western M25 and approach roads because they were struggling for grip.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:20 pm

Even without any frost, if the road temperature frequently drops below 7 degrees Celsius, than winter tyres are desirable.

I am all for concentrating on the driver, but a cooperative car can make a noticeable difference. And among what makes a car cooperative, tyres are by far the most important part, being the only part that actually touches the road.

I see lots of old tyres, or even new tyres that come from questionable manufacturers, that take significantly longer to stop. If the need to stop suddenly arises (which it might, even for the best advanced driver) that difference could mean everything.

Here's an example of what the difference between tyres from a known and unknown brand look like in similar conditions at 60mph. There's 25 feet between the two, in the dry!

The differences between winter and summer tyres are even larger, and the difference between new and aged (3-4 years) tyres is slightly smaller, but nevertheless significant. The same can be said for suspension parts, too.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:54 pm

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Silk wrote:I'm just tyred of all the tyre threads. My advice is simple - stop driving like a tit and you can use whatever tyres you like. :lol:

I'll do my utmost best to avoid driving like you then ;)

There's only room for one driving god on here. :-)

Well if that's the case, please remember that it's me. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave - just as deluded as ever.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:58 pm

Discov8 wrote:
Silk wrote:
Gareth wrote:
Silk wrote:I'm just tyred of all the tyre threads.

I'm tired of you going on about it, and tired of you contributing negative or sniping comments to threads which you claim have no interest to you. I wish you'd have the courtesy to let others discuss what interests them without your constant harping. Basically, I wish you'd grow up a bit.

I'm very interested, as well as a little concerned, when I see people spending good money on things that give negligible, if any benefit. IMO, they should stop it at once and concentrate on the most important aspect of any drive - the driver.

Why should you be concerned with how people spend their own money?

The right tool for the job is always better. Having used summer and winter tyres and all terrain tyres and mud tyres when off road (I don't mean track) I know which tyre I prefer in each environment.

If tyres only make a negligible difference why do tyre companies spend a fortune on supporting F1 with a multitude of different compounds and wet dry combinations?

Maybe it's primarily a publicity stunt, but when everything is taken into account, I expect they consider it to be a worthwhile investment.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:01 pm

devonutopia wrote:My experience is the need for winter rubber doesn't outweigh the cost of buying / changing wheels & tyres around.

I do however live on the coast in Devon where it rarely gets cold and the sea neutralises most extremes of temperature - at both ends. :)

This winter season I don't recall any ice / any snow - sure it got chilly perhaps where normal tyres may begin to suffer marginally but I just adapted to the conditions as I would in the rain at any other time of year.

Ooop north, I can see the justification. Just not down 'ere :)

Given the last couple of winters on the North Yorkshire coast, I would have thought 'summer tyres' will have been adequate for most people.

chriskay

Postby chriskay » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:20 pm

TripleS wrote:As for contributing 'negative or sniping comments', I don't think silk is any more guilty than I am. Maybe I ought to grow up, too: but it's getting a bit late for that. :lol:

There is a difference: your contributions are frequently amusing; those of silk are usually of an unpleasant sniping nature. Since he seldom has anything constructive to say, it would be better if he went away.
Carpe diem

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:39 pm

chriskay wrote:
TripleS wrote:As for contributing 'negative or sniping comments', I don't think silk is any more guilty than I am. Maybe I ought to grow up, too: but it's getting a bit late for that. :lol:

There is a difference: your contributions are frequently amusing; those of silk are usually of an unpleasant sniping nature. Since he seldom has anything constructive to say, it would be better if he went away.

Well I'd prefer it if Steve were to make a bit of adjustment to his style, if he's willing to do so, and for the rest of us to be a bit more accommodating. 8-)

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:21 am

Astraist wrote:Even without any frost, if the road temperature frequently drops below 7 degrees Celsius, than winter tyres are desirable.

I am all for concentrating on the driver, but a cooperative car can make a noticeable difference. And among what makes a car cooperative, tyres are by far the most important part, being the only part that actually touches the road.

I see lots of old tyres, or even new tyres that come from questionable manufacturers, that take significantly longer to stop. If the need to stop suddenly arises (which it might, even for the best advanced driver) that difference could mean everything.

Here's an example of what the difference between tyres from a known and unknown brand look like in similar conditions at 60mph. There's 25 feet between the two, in the dry!

The differences between winter and summer tyres are even larger, and the difference between new and aged (3-4 years) tyres is slightly smaller, but nevertheless significant. The same can be said for suspension parts, too.

From time to time I collect money from people in cars who are entering a charity motoring event.
It can be a bit boring so I often sit in one of those fairly low beach chairs whilst waiting for the next 'victim' to hove into view.
At a guess I would say that 40 percent or thereabouts of the cars I see have worn/bashed or ditch finder tyres; some of these cars are not old either but late models.
They'll be the cars with all the knobs and buttons such as ESC and ABS yet people seem to forget the black circles that help these things work efficiently.
It is faintly amusing to me that at the event some of these people will be having deep conversations about which tyres the racing cars should have!

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:21 am

The issue is that the degradation isn't always appearant. There are tyres that don't exhibit much cracking after four years of service (much less after three years) but will produce significantly longer stopping distances compared to new.

The drop in performance starts as early as two years of service or less. Even storage time before use has some impact.

Return to “Technology”